Thread: A Cased Webley Premier

A Cased Webley Premier

Most collectors are familiar with the fine cases Webley offered in 1938/39 and from 1949 to the mid to late 1950s. One cased set that is easy to overlook is the attaché style 'Custom Case" that Webley offered C.1970 for the Premier air pistol.

Webley 'Custom Cases' were included in the company's catalogues C.1970 and were also advertised in Shooting Times and Guns Review. Two sizes of pistol case were offered and a larger case was marketed for the Mark 3 air rifle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BTRjmBJfyTSjP2B9A

I came across one on the Tim Dyson stall at the last Kempton (next event Sunday 7 April) and was the first such set I had ever seen in the flesh, so it ended up coming home with me (no brainer ).

The set includes a contemporary Webley pamphlet on their range of custom cases at the time and while the lock/clasp in the advert looks slightly different on the case I bought, the case overall looks the same and the lock is marked D PAT 286119. I’ve seen similar cases on that were from the 1970s and also referred to Custom or Custom Crown with the same patent number, suggesting all were from the same maker.

The pristine E Series Premier is dated 1969 and shoots very well too!

Does anyone have the larger case or perhaps a Mark 3 in the rifle Custom Case?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Well I can't help with the larger case, but I now know what the case I have is.

I don't remember where I got it.neither does it have any Webley markings on it.

Thanks John

Thumbs up Very nice

A rather lovely set

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Thanks John
    No markings other than the patent number I mentioned and as a result many cases have probably been overlooked.

I was delighted to find this one.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The James Bond look!

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    The James Bond look!
    Very much so and very 70s!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Thanks John
    I'd be interested in seeing a pic of yours to compare with my case.

For instance, is the inner lining smooth or ridged and are the locking clasps like mine or the ones in the Webley pamphlet I pictured?

John