Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The brilliance of Andrew Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    Guys

My English Hy-score Phoenix Arms is a repeater too. It has same mechanism on the back as my 802R, 803R (5 in 1 barrels), not sure about the 804 will need to look.

The mechanism is brilliant bit of kit but I end up fixing them all the time. Usually they are overloaded with pellets and become jammed. Sometime the circular keeper breaks off and the mechanism jammed, in short I fix them more then I use them.

I own quite a few hy-score the only pistol my Hy-score collection is missing is a boxed 805.

Anybody have an 805 they are will to part with now? I fly to the UK for it.

My wife and I will at the PA show, see you there!

Randall
    I wonder if part of the jamming issue is that we now use modern pellets which the mechanism was not designed for. It even warns on the mechanism to use only Hy-Score pellets. Pellets in the 1950’s tended to be short and “stocky”. Putting in a miss-sized pellet and twisting is a recipe for trouble? I had a similar issue with the old repeating Benjamin CO2 pistol. They say they never worked right. I was having issues until I loaded in old Benjamin pellets. Similar issues with the Haenel 28 repeaters. I have only found one pellets that still works perfectly with that pistol. The long and short of it, as you say just load single shots in and don’t worry about it. They are just a cool bit of airgun history.
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-02-2024 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Which one is the 805?
    The Sportster with barrel pinned for use with only one barrel. I think the box is the truly rare item?

I always enjoy repeaters and the Hi-Score is on the list. Keeping track of the loading and firing sequence is however tricky (at least for me)…
    A few years ago I downloaded the attached copy of instructions. It’s quite poor quality and I’m unsure if it should have a second page giving more details of firing sequence.
    If anyone has a better/complete copy I’d be interested to know.
    Can’t recall where I found it - it may have been a Tim Dyson advert.

Steve

https://imgur.com/a/fw6k62L

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    I always enjoy repeaters and the Hi-Score is on the list. Keeping track of the loading and firing sequence is however tricky (at least for me)…
    A few years ago I downloaded the attached copy of instructions. It’s quite poor quality and I’m unsure if it should have a second page giving more details of firing sequence.
    If anyone has a better/complete copy I’d be interested to know.
    Can’t recall where I found it - it may have been a Tim Dyson advert.

Steve

https://imgur.com/a/fw6k62L
    Here are both pages: How many times in life do we forge ahead without reading the instructions!! lol. The guy in the video I posted above had no idea what he was doing. Got to take my new to me repeater out in the backyard and report back.

Last edited by 45flint; 23-02-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Steve,
    What a great resource this is!
    Not sure I’ve ever fired all 6 “chambers” without losing track of the sequence :-)
    Steve

805 same a 803 no interchangable barrels

Hey Steve aka flint45

Do you have a 805 Hy-score box?

805 same a 803 no interchangable barrels. It is a short barrel Hy-score box marked 805.

The air guns are not stamped with the model so it is a box I need.

Hope that answered your question.

Randall
    Last edited by Re01312; 24-02-2024 at 06:19 AM.

Randell was quit correct about the ability of the loading mechanism to jam. I found reading the original instructions helpful. I found the original Hy-score pellets to be the correct length for the chambers but the pellets themselves were not all that uniform. Here the instructions come into play. It says that if the pellet doesn’t drop down use a “nail” to push it down! lol I found a toothpick a little less abrasive. But I looked for a modern pellet which would work and that was pretty easy here in the US. I found the standard Crosman .177 hollow points worked quite well as the hollow point end reduces the length just a little. No problem loading. But you just can’t turn the loader and shoot. You need to look into the loader and make sure each pellet falls down into the barrel far enough. I had to use the toothpick once but I just oiled the loader and I think the oil wasn’t helping. I have used Crosman pellets before on old guns and I find they tend to have skirts that don’t hang up. I think Crosman wadcutter (my favorite for the Haenel 28-R) would work maybe even better but I couldn’t find my tin.

Missing Tin

Steve

So glad you mention not being able to find the tin of pellets. Sometimes I shooting all of them and wonder where they have gone.

Randall