Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAS Auction.

SAS Auction.

Realised prices for collectable air guns at today’s SAS auction didn’t appear to be too strong except for the extremely rare items such as the Ansons Star £2,300 and the Cogswell & Harrison Certus air pistols £2.800 both are hammer prices with commission and VAT to be added.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Realised prices for collectable air guns at today’s SAS auction didn’t appear to be too strong except for the extremely rare items such as the Ansons Star £2,300 and the Cogswell & Harrison Certus air pistols £2.800 both are hammer prices with commission and VAT to be added.

Brian
    The Star looked a little tired to say the least for £2,900 or close on

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    The Star looked a little tired to say the least for £2,900 or close on
    It also has an incorrect pellet seater Pete, but I’m still surprised that it sold for less than the Certus which is probably a lot easier to find.

Brian

It also has an incorrect pellet seater Pete, but I’m still surprised that it sold for less than the Certus which is probably a lot easier to find.

Brian
    An excellent condition Certus changed hands at KP 2 years back for £1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    An excellent condition Certus changed hands at KP 2 years back for £1500.
    I paid £500 for this Certus from the late Keith Bayliss from whom I acquired most of my collection at a Bisley Arms Fair many years ago. I was also lucky enough to find an Ansons Star in a Brighton gun shop for just £350 as they didn’t really appreciate what it was. Although I felt a bit guilty at first, I soon got over it as they would probably have paid around half that amount when they added it to stock.

Brian

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Apart from the extreme rarities mentioned by Brian, there were some other interesting results.

One of the biggest surprises was the very rare ca. 1876 first version Eureka, which sold for the incredibly low price of £75, whereas the less rare later version sold for a more realistic £220. Someone got a fantastic bargain with the early model. Equally surprising was the nice condition Pope, which failed to reach its reserve – a real bargain missed.
    The Boone pistol fetched £110, which might surprise American collectors. but you have to take into consideration that it is very rare in the UK (but nowhere near as desirable as a first model Eureka to my mind.) The incredibly rare little Bulldog pistol went for a realistic price of £400 - when are you going to see another? The not quite so rare Haenel 50 made a hammer price of £380. But if you wanted a couple of bargain classic vintage German pistols, you could get a very nice condition pre-war Diana 5 for £35 and a BSF S20 for £45 . And to show that pop-outs can sometimes sell well, a bundle consisting of a Diana 2 and a Milbro Typhoon reached £140 - undoubtedly because of the great rarity of the latter.

Unfortunately the auction house would not post pre-1939 air guns , which technically they could legally do, so I was unable to bid on any of the bargain basement items. The only real ones I regret missing out on are the Eureka and Pope - real antiques, almost 150 years old, and in great condition.

Learn lots about Spring Air Pistol fromm you gentlemen, Thanks

I am not a accomplished collector like you gentlemen yet but I trying and building a collector. Thanks for posting about such guns. I really enjoy learning again thank you.

Randall

You should have said something John, I’m but a stone’s throw from Newbury and could have collected and posted to you.

bit pricey for the star

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Apart from the extreme rarities mentioned by Brian, there were some other interesting results.

One of the biggest surprises was the very rare ca. 1876 first version Eureka, which sold for the incredibly low price of £75, whereas the less rare later version sold for a more realistic £220. Someone got a fantastic bargain with the early model. Equally surprising was the nice condition Pope, which failed to reach its reserve – a real bargain missed.
    The Boone pistol fetched £110, which might surprise American collectors. but you have to take into consideration that it is very rare in the UK (but nowhere near as desirable as a first model Eureka to my mind.) The incredibly rare little Bulldog pistol went for a realistic price of £400 - when are you going to see another? The not quite so rare Haenel 50 made a hammer price of £380. But if you wanted a couple of bargain classic vintage German pistols, you could get a very nice condition pre-war Diana 5 for £35 and a BSF S20 for £45 . And to show that pop-outs can sometimes sell well, a bundle consisting of a Diana 2 and a Milbro Typhoon reached £140 - undoubtedly because of the great rarity of the latter.

Unfortunately the auction house would not post pre-1939 air guns , which technically they could legally do, so I was unable to bid on any of the bargain basement items. The only real ones I regret missing out on are the Eureka and Pope - real antiques, almost 150 years old, and in great condition.
    Like you say John, some very good bargains indeed, l was surprised that the Certus made as much as it did, at least 2 bidders really wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    bit pricey for the star
    Yet incredibly rare. When was the last time you saw one for sale? If you’re trying to collect everything Anson and Frank Clarke, you’re going to end up spending high sums for the very rare items when competing with like minded buyers.

Same goes for the Certus.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I paid £500 for this Certus from the late Keith Bayliss from whom I acquired most of my collection at a Bisley Arms Fair many years ago. I was also lucky enough to find an Ansons Star in a Brighton gun shop for just £350 as they didn’t really appreciate what it was. Although I felt a bit guilty at first, I soon got over it as they would probably have paid around half that amount when they added it to stock.

Brian
    Hi Brian, you got a real bargain with your Anson Star, l had the chance to buy one a few years ago but thought the asking price of £800 was a bit rich for me, when l could get a nice Adams revolver for a lot less.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    You should have said something John, I’m but a stone’s throw from Newbury and could have collected and posted to you.
    If only I had known! But many thanks for the thought. Still, it's the occasional disappointments of collecting that make the successes feel so good.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Brian, you got a real bargain with your Anson Star, l had the chance to buy one a few years ago but thought the asking price of £800 was a bit rich for me, when l could get a nice Adams revolver for a lot less.
    A picture of my bargain priced Star Micky which also has an incorrect pellet seater, but is otherwise in quite good condition and still shoots quite well if you have the strength to cock it !
    It should have the same pellet seater as the early Britannia pop-out pistol which might provide an opportunity to find one in poor condition provided it has the correct pellet seater present.

Brian

CopyDex is does wonders

JimmieDee

Watched your video about repairing boxes and learn about Copydex glue.

Next project is building storage boxes and maybe producing my own Accles & Shelvoke reproduction box for my A&F stamped Warrior.

Thank you for sharing knowledge with other collectors.

Also, Congrats to Brian on scoring an Anson Star regardless of the pellet seater, it is a great score!

Randall
    Last edited by Re01312; 22-02-2024 at 06:21 PM.