Thread: Remington T-Rex Bullpup

Remington T-Rex Bullpup

Just bought the above rifle, and thought I'd write down my first impressions...

Straight off, I have to say this is my first PCP... I've had springers since the age of 12 (53 years ago!), but in the last 30ish years I've concentrated on powder-burners.
    I bought the T-Rex because we saw a rat in the garden, so it was a good excuse to buy something I could use in the garden.
    It was also (A) cheap, (B) small air cylinder so I could pump by hand, and (C) a bullpup... I love short guns.

Anyway...I picked the rifle up from the LGS, who also gave it a fill to about 200bar.
    Unboxing it there was the rifle, an instruction booklet, one 10 shot mag (this is .22 flavour), and a small bag containing spare o-rings, and the filling probe. It also came with a scope and rings.
    The unbranded scope was instantly tucked away in the bottom drawer, hopefully to be forgotten about, but I did use the high rings with a Hawke scope. The rings needed to be high, as the fixed cheekpiece puts the head quite far above the bore line.
    Once the scope was fitted and (very) roughly boresighted along the picatinney rail, I set a target up at about 16 yards, and fired a few shots to get it zeroed.
    I then dusted off the old FX chrono, and dug out the 3 tins of .22 pellets I had with a previous springer, H&N FTT, Accupel, and Falcon Accuracy Plus.

I started putting 10 shot groups on the target, realising that its a new gun, and switching pellets will need a few groups to get the best out of the accuracy.

I started with the H&N, that didn't seem to group very well, and was going about 552fps, giving around 10ftlb.
    I then tried the FAP, and that seemed to have potential, starting to form good groups of one large hole, and going a bit faster... average of 565fps, and 9.6 ftlb.
    Switching to the Accupel, it didn't really seem to like those at all...large groups, and slower, averaging 544 fps and varying between 8.6 to 10.1 ftlb.

At this point, I noticed velocities dropping, so checked the gauge.. it was in the lower part of the green section, so time for a pump up...

I'd bought the cheapest pump from Amazon... £32.., connected it up, and started pumping... boy thats tough work..! being old and unfit it was a proper workout to get it back up to the middle of the green section. At that point, I thought thats good enough and gave up..! definately something to do in stages..!

Once I had decent pressure again, I went back to the H&N pellets.. after a couple of groups they really stated to come together, and the last 10 shot group was a 1cm diameter hole...enough for me to decide that they're the pellet to use with this rifle.

Overall i'm pleased with it, a little disappointed that its only putting out about 10 ftlb, but that plenty for punching holes in targets, or rats, in the garden.

Its small, light, and does whats needed.

Daryll.
    Last edited by Daryll; 27-02-2024 at 01:32 PM.

Beeman Bullpup Regulated 1357

I bought the regulated version that came in over 12ftlb. I sorted it myself with a softer hammer spring rather than send it back. The trigger is long and heavy, sorted with a softer SS spring and redefining the sear screw setting. It now has an acceptable “2 stage” action.

It now shoots over 100 regulated shots and 10-15 good off reg. The first 15 or so are a bit erratic, so I only fill to 220bar, not the 250 max and get 80-100 good shots overall at avg. 11.2ftlb and 11.5 max starting at 220 bar (11.7 max at 250 bar).

Finding the right pellets was a challenge, but Baracuda FTs are great, they were the 9th time of asking. I am getting 8-9mm groups at 23 yards with a 12 shot magazine (the other is not as good) and 6-8mm using the SSL.

The regulated version doesn’t come with a scope (thank goodness) and a Bugbuster is working just fine at 23-25 yards. I am looking to get a compact 4-16 in the next couple of months so I can sensibly test it out to 45-50 yards. Field targets are fine with the Bugbuster though.

I reckon this to be a bargain at £350.

T Rex pup

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Just bought the above rifle, and thought I'd write down my first impressions...

Straight off, I have to say this is my first PCP... I've had springers since the age of 12 (53 years ago!), but in the last 30ish years I've concentrated on powder-burners.
    I bought the T-Rex because we saw a rat in the garden, so it was a good excuse to buy something I could use in the garden.
    It was also (A) cheap, (B) small air cylinder so I could pump by hand, and (C) a bullpup... I love short guns.

Anyway...I picked the rifle up from the LGS, who also gave it a fill to about 200bar.
    Unboxing it there was the rifle, an instruction booklet, one 10 shot mag (this is .22 flavour), and a small bag containing spare o-rings, and the filling probe. It also came with a scope and rings.
    The unbranded scope was instantly tucked away in the bottom drawer, hopefully to be forgotten about, but I did use the high rings with a Hawke scope. The rings needed to be high, as the fixed cheekpiece puts the head quite far above the bore line.
    Once the scope was fitted and (very) roughly boresighted along the picatinney rail, I set a target up at about 16 yards, and fired a few shots to get it zeroed.
    I then dusted off the old FX chrono, and dug out the 3 tins of .22 pellets I had with a previous springer, H&N FTT, Accupel, and Falcon Accuracy Plus.

I started putting 10 shot groups on the target, realising that its a new gun, and switching pellets will need a few groups to get the best out of the accuracy.

I started with the H&N, that didn't seem to group very well, and was going about 552fps, giving around 10ftlb.
    I then tried the FAP, and that seemed to have potential, starting to form good groups of one large hole, and going a bit faster... average of 565fps, and 9.6 ftlb.
    Switching to the Accupel, it didn't really seem to like those at all...large groups, and slower, averaging 544 fps and varying between 8.6 to 10.1 ftlb.

At this point, I noticed velocities dropping, so checked the gauge.. it was in the lower part of the green section, so time for a pump up...

I'd bought the cheapest pump from Amazon... £32.., connected it up, and started pumping... boy thats tough work..! being old and unfit it was a proper workout to get it back up to the middle of the green section. At that point, I thought thats good enough and gave up..! definately something to do in stages..!

Once I had decent pressure again, I went back to the H&N pellets.. after a couple of groups they really stated to come together, and the last 10 shot group was a 1cm diameter hole...enough for me to decide that they're the pellet to use with this rifle.

Overall i'm pleased with it, a little disappointed that its only putting out about 10 ftlb, but that plenty for punching holes in targets, or rats, in the garden.

Its small, light, and does whats needed.

Daryll.
    I sent mine back, as it was only on 9.5 ft/lb out of the box. (The box marked “High Power” and “Up to 12 ft/lb”) They adjusted it to 11.2, but said they only aim to send them out at 10.5ft/lb - which I thought was a bit cheeky alongside that marketing spiel! I’ve tinkered with it since to get a bit more (still legal!) oomph. I know a lot of folks are of the opinion 11 is plenty, but I do really like to be at 11.5+ with an efficient pellet, and have a slightly flatter trajectory.

It’s all about the transfer port on these, and it’s very sensitive to tiny increases in diameter – adjusting the hammer spring does next to nothing until you’ve got the port right. About 1.75mm in my case took it just over the limit, and at that stage, shortening the hammer spring will get you back down. (which is all good because that action is horribly noisy next to your ear, and less spring behind the hammer can only help!)

I have to say It's been remarkably consistent, power/fps wise from shot to shot at every stage of adjustment. Still experimenting with best pellets for accuracy but Dead Centres are pretty good. Also still trying to quieten the action (packing around it with foam et.c.) Tolerable now but still a bit clacky!)

My first bullpup style rifle - love the compactness of it, and I think it'll get lots of use now I've tweaked it a little. Those pumps are a workout - it's only since I bought a compressor I've realised how much I restricted my shooting because I didn't enjoy paying for it with the stirrup pump!