Thread: That 6ft/lbs pistol limit

That 6ft/lbs pistol limit

I think I understand that rule about 'once a rifle always a rifle' but let's say you own a Crosman 2250 and occasionally want to shoot it without the stock, it would look awfully like a pistol but be over the limit for a pistol. Is this really ok to do something like this? If it's all down to whether it says 2240 or 2250 on the receiver of a modded build this could mean that virtually identical builds would be legal in one case and illegal in the other. I can't somehow believe that it would be ok to build a special based on a 2250 and crank it up to 11ft/lbs and occasionally use it in pistol form

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Awesome! Let us know how the court case goes.��
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    The way the law sees it is if it can converted from rifle to pistol without tooling (ie cut etc) it is classed as a pistol so needs to be at the Pistol limit, so that convertible Pistol would be classed as just that and would need to be detuned to be legally owned in the UK if it exceeds 6ftlbs
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by rayfleet View Post
    I think I understand that rule about 'once a rifle always a rifle' but let's say you own a Crosman 2250 and occasionally want to shoot it without the stock, it would look awfully like a pistol but be over the limit for a pistol. Is this really ok to do something like this? If it's all down to whether it says 2240 or 2250 on the receiver of a modded build this could mean that virtually identical builds would be legal in one case and illegal in the other. I can't somehow believe that it would be ok to build a special based on a 2250 and crank it up to 11ft/lbs and occasionally use it in pistol form
    Yes, that's why modders buy and sell 2240 and 2250 tubes depending on what they're building.

In a similar vein the 2289 Backpacker tube is very sought after among 1377 and 1322 modders, because then you can legally build a pumper at more than 6ftlbs as long as it has a stock and is long enough.

Notice that on the 2250 the stock is held on with anti-tamper screws, they're not hard to defeat but they are there for a reason.

Your best bet is to base custom builds on the right platform to start with, if you want more than 6ftlbs just start with a 2250, otherwise use a 2240.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Awesome! Let us know how the court case goes.��
    Absolutely.
    I've commented on, ( and indeed, in the past, started ) some, 'close to the wind', threads - but this one must be about to capsize

Can I remove the arm brace on my .44 Taurus and shoot foxes with it?
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I've given up when something written in black & white in the firearms act seems to be ignored in a rifle on open sale.

It seems to be a case that you interpret the rules, build it & hope no one objects enough to take it to court.

Hmmm…could see the 2250 ending up suddenly not being imported into the UK any more, with possible ramifications for existing owners re a hand-in. No doubt there may be other examples (models/makes) out there, but it does seem to be a prime candidate for ‘mis-adventure’ by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by rayfleet View Post
    Even if it were okay to do this (which it isn't), I guess the resulting "pistol" would be horribly imbalanced, both from a weight distribution point of view and aesthetically. Thankfully the 2240 pistol can still be had cheaply new, so better to go that route.

I've gone the other way with one of my 2240s......shoulder stock, steel breech and red dot sight, but kept it at legal pistol power. Still makes for a fun "mini-carbine" for short range fun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

i cant se the point in asking for trouble why put your self in that position

I often shoot the old fellas R10 one handed like a pistol (taking the p*** and calling it a toy), he gonna be gutted now he has to turn the power down.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Wasn’t the cp2 both a pistol and rifle - you fit the rifle stock and long barrel to make it an 8 or so ft/lb rifle, and short barrel and pistol stock for sub 6 ft/lb pistol. Of course you could fit the pistol stock and long barrel, but could rightly face the wrath of the law.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Hmmm…could see the 2250 ending up suddenly not being imported into the UK any more, with possible ramifications for existing owners re a hand-in. .......
    Intriguing.

What ramifications?

After the Brocock air cartridge problem very sadly I made use of a large hammer and then handed mine in to a very local place. No fuss at all, nothing was said, just continued burbling its way along.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2