Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you give up airguns if a licence was brought in

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Would you give up airguns if a licence was brought in

I was surprised by the crossbow thing and has made me feel more insecure about buying any more airguns as we don't know what government will be in by the end of the year.

From my young years I have shot rifles and shotguns at clubs then give them up and about ten years later got the airgun bug because of the simplicity of owning for safe fun, but if a licence was brought in, I think that would give them up it just wouldn't be the same

I have burying me head in the sand for a while about this and I guess some of you guys have as well so I don't expect much response but I would apricate any reassuring comments or opinions. Sorry for a depressing post but nice airguns are not cheap

I need a license for mine anyway

I gave up airguns for several years when licensing was introduced in Scotland. I've never really been interested in firearms or shotguns.
    It was the accessibility of airguns that allowed me to pursue my intererest. From age 11years I was rarely to be seen without an air rifle or pistol. Since retiring from work I've obtained an AWC but times have changed and I am more restricted in where I can shoot.

I have shot air rifles since I was about 8 years old, I am 60 in a few weeks.
    I compete in HFT and have hunted and shot all my life with Air rifles and shotguns, but Air rifles are my real passion.
    I wouldn't hesitate if we needed a licence, but I have held an SGC since I was 19 so it probably isn't such a big deal for me.

When I see some of the idiots knocking about with airguns, it often makes me think it might not be a bad thing, but the restrictions have now have already sifted a lot of chaff out.
    I live in a very rural location down a long quiet unsurfaced lane, and we occasionally get a car full of idiots with an air rifle out of the window drive past, shooting anything that moves.
    BASC

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I wouldn't worry as anything like that would take a long time to implement if it happened to at all.
    As to giving up, I won't want to but if its like a FAC I won't pass on Mental health atleast for the time being, but being again it'd take years to implement if it did even happen I might be well enough by then so who knows.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Licensing would kill off most of the trade and what is left of manufacturing.

I have been into airguns from pre-teens and love them to bits. They're my life and the main thing that keep me sane. Licensing wouldn't diminish my love for them, if it were to be implemented. I would imagine that the vast majority of current enthusiasts would get a licence and stay with the hobby they love.

However, I do feel that the future of our sport / hobby would suffer if licensing came about. One of the attractions at the moment for newcomers is the ease of accessibility. Licensing would create a barrier for many that they might not wish to negotiate.

Existing laws and rules are tough enough. Harsher rules would just adversely affect the law-abiding whilst the scrotes and criminal element will always obtain whatever they want with no regard to any laws.
    Last edited by TonyL; 29-02-2024 at 05:45 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    As much as I am against licensing I wouldn't let it stop me
    Pete

I don't see how they could introduce it with the current level of resources. There are around five million people living in Scotland, there is a similar number living in Yorkshire alone, so the scale of trying to introduce it to England and Wales would be huge.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I don't see how they could introduce it with the current level of resources. There are around five million people living in Scotland, there is a similar number living in Yorkshire alone, so the scale of trying to introduce it to England and Wales would be huge.
    This ^^

With an estimated 6 million+ Air Rifles in England & Wales

https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/#:~:t...%20and%20Wales.

When was the last time you saw a Bobby on the Beat

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    That is what I thought until I saw the crossbow proposals.

id problaby pack in if licence come in to force

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I'd give up FAC and shotgun before airguns.

If it's just a case of registering , I wouldnt have an issue, I only paper punch at a local range and have membership there, It would possibly be a deterrent to people who are new to the sport, having to get a license and somewhere to shoot, prior to buying a first gun. How it could be administered and controlled is beyond me, it's not unusual for the sole police presence in my local town and the surrounding villages, to consist of a single PCSO, even on a friday or saturday night,,

Licencing

Only the law abiding will get a licence.
    The more criminal minded will just carry on as before.
    As with firearms.
    As with no Vehicle Tax and Insurance.
    And so on.......
    Pointless in my opinion!
    costalot