Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you give up airguns if a licence was brought in

I would apply for asylum in the nearest free country. Go back to the crossbow thread and fill in the consultation chaps, before it comes to you.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Personally, I'd get a license and carry on, however much I object to airgun licensing because I see it as the thin end of a very large wedge.

However, I believe that licensing is simply not practical in England because there must be millions of forgotten or hardly ever used airguns hiding in lofts, sheds, & at the back of cupboards, plus there are a huge number of airgun owners who are "out of the loop", unaware that there are airgun ranges, organised competitions, and forums where they can engage with other airgun shooters, so they have no idea that there might be a threat to airgun ownership.
    It would be deeply unfair to punish these people for unknowingly breaking the law by not obtaining a license, ignorant of a new change in the law regarding something they've perhaps done legally for a long time.

As the government don't seem to to do "Public Information" films any more I doubt we'd see a campaign to advertise a new law requiring airguns to be either licensed or handed in, and as the work of simply policing the streets properly appears to be beyond the resources of our police forces I doubt very much that they would be able to cope with the workload of licensing huge numbers of airgun owners.

I suspect that the only practical way to impose licensing would be to demand that a license be required for the purchase of a new airgun, to shoot at an established range, or to take part in competition such as HFT. The "back garden plinkers" that remainded unaware of licensing might be very gradually mopped up by their coming to the notice of the police, and given the choice of obtaining a license or forfeiting their guns. Even then, in rural areas where shooting is part of the fabric of society and out of sight of the public, you're unlikely to be "turned in" by a neighbour because they'd have to live with the consequences - hard to do when they might have to ask a favour of you someday.

If licensing came in for sub12's, I'd almost certainly pack in with them
    B.A.S.C. member

Licensing air guns would kill the industry for sure - and that's probably what they want to achieve anyway.
    FWIW I've always been deeply distrustful of the ruling classes and don't invest large sums of money in anything that is or could be subject to legislation - motor vehicles & air guns being the primary examples. A stroke of the pen in Westminster and all your investment is swept away in a minute.
    Enjoy it whilst you can.....

I can echo what most people say and just pack in with sub 12 airguns.Its already a pain with the firearms certificate and sub 12 are a bit of light relief from bureaucracy.Not having to do variations for changing guns and being able to shoot it "in a mates garden" etc.The amount of guns already in circulation won't deter a licensing system it'll be as simple as license it ,sell it or hand it in but get caught with it and trouble.I look at the guns l have on lisence and don't feel like they are "mine"just borrowed,as anyone with a grudge against you and they would be removed.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    I look at the guns l have on lisence and don't feel like they are "mine"just borrowed,as anyone with a grudge against you and they would be removed.
    That is what I mean about licencing

I have both shotgun and firearms tickets so not an issue for me BUT if I didn't have these tickets, I would without doubt buy a license for airguns. I cannot see the point of stopping what is a total hobby, sport or pleasure because you need a ticket to own one. Sorry but I see no sense in losing all that enjoyment for the sake of getting a license.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Palmer View Post
    If it's just a case of registering , I wouldnt have an issue, I only paper punch at a local range and have membership there, It would possibly be a deterrent to people who are new to the sport, having to get a license and somewhere to shoot, prior to buying a first gun. How it could be administered and controlled is beyond me, it's not unusual for the sole police presence in my local town and the surrounding villages, to consist of a single PCSO, even on a friday or saturday night,,

Which local range do you use ?
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

No I wouldn't,
    but since both the Police & Home Office stated they didn't want them licenced, less than 2 years ago it's a moot point.

At the moment they're consulting about removing Mod's from the FAC register largely to free up the work load, adding airguns would cause the whole system to collapse.

I would however like to see some sort of safety training requirement, some of the things you see & hear around guns is appalling.

I would get the licence.
    Anyone remember The Game Licence? Binned because it did nothing useful and was costly to administrate.
    What are the costs of the Scottish licensing? What has it actually achieved?

Frankly, if a license was necessary I'd do both with going FAC too. Police Constabularies can barely keep pace with the FAC work load, and the revenue doesn't quite cover the costs.

Again, the point of 12ft/lbs air rifles is that no license is required. Why have a limit if one is? All societies need to educate their populace on guns as guns are part of the world order. Even if only for pest control though there is more to them. The US Second Amendment has merit: power to The People with guns, or power to the State with the only guns? Every society requires deterrence from other societies. Freedom is not costless.

Quote Originally Posted by philpot View Post
    I have both shotgun and firearms tickets so not an issue for me BUT if I didn't have these tickets, I would without doubt buy a license for airguns. I cannot see the point of stopping what is a total hobby, sport or pleasure because you need a ticket to own one. Sorry but I see no sense in losing all that enjoyment for the sake of getting a license.

Absolutely, just get on with it.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    What are the costs of the Scottish licensing? What has it actually achieved?

Police Constabularies can barely keep pace with the FAC work load, and the revenue doesn't quite cover the costs.

Again, the point of 12ft/lbs air rifles is that no license is required. Why have a limit if one is?
    Yes, the reason for owning 12ft/lbs airguns is because there is no licence

But the thing that is bothering me is that they would bother licencing crossbows if they can't keep up with the work load.

As already said licenced guns don't really feel like you own them, it's not like owning a licenced car.

Someone above mentioned the 'Game licence'. Was that what I think I remember as the Gun Licence that you bought from a Post Office? I am too young (?) to have been affected by it (75 now) and can't remember when it went out but think it applied to airguns at the time ...

I can't see it being introduced.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yes, the reason for owning 12ft/lbs airguns is because there is no licence

But the thing that is bothering me is that they would bother licencing crossbows if they can't keep up with the work load.

As already said licenced guns don't really feel like you own them, it's not like owning a licenced car.

I don't get why you don't feel you own a licensed gun, I have plenty of shotguns and feel like they're all mine, especiallyas I paid for them! Probably because as an SG owner I'm used to having a licence it doesn't seem such a big deal. I like sub 12 airguns because they are easier to use safely than powder burners for example, not because there is no licence required.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The government and police won't want the sub 12 rifle licenced. They can't actually provide sufficient support to process and police it. Also, it'd mean more people would have the attitude "if need a licence for air rifle, I may as well go full fac" and that's something they'll want to avoid. It's almost like a bit of a compromise.