Thread: A Bsa Cadet/ Major/Meteor one???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I acquired a 1970's Meteor a few years ago, I must say its a bit of a disapointment. 50 years ago when i got my first Meteor for christmas it was like getting a Purdey! Aah well.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Ok----Have a think about it

Meteors have hollowish breech jaws and the front stock screw brackets below the jaws --and have a problem with the jaws opening up.

Mercurys have more solid jaws and the stock screw bracket is not on the jaws. However later Mercurys have a bolt barrel pivot ----------so that must be because of a problem.

Weihrauch knew they had a problem so they just fitted the bolt from the start.

Cadets and Majors don't have the problem because they are either better designed or better built!
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Ok----Have a think about it

Meteors have hollowish breech jaws and the front stock screw brackets below the jaws --and have a problem with the jaws opening up.

Mercurys have more solid jaws and the stock screw bracket is not on the jaws. However later Mercurys have a bolt barrel pivot ----------so that must be because of a problem.

Weihrauch knew they had a problem so they just fitted the bolt from the start.

Cadets and Majors don't have the problem because they are either better designed or better built!
    Plus Meteors appear to form breeding colonies if given the chance.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

I think the introduction of the Meteor heralded a change of policy at BSA from ‘ up to a quality ‘ rather than ‘ down to a price ‘.

Or am I the only one that thinks that, Mick?
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Cheapening process

I agree, if you compare Mks1 to 6 when Gamo took over but made necessary due to the tooling wearing out , manufacture had been cheapened all the way and was a step down from the Cadet at inception.
    However we must remember that the folded metal construction was a success that sold millions all over the world.
    Comparing Mks 1 & 2 with later ones the good trigger was replaced with the cheaper later version and made worse still with the Mk5. The Gamo Mk6 trigger even with it's mile long pull is better IMHO.
    Remember the Mk1 was blued as well.
    Sights started off as iron and changed until the 1st plastic version came in at some point during the Mk3, got worse during the Mk4 before someone saw sense and the later plastic/metal ones were brought in.
    Airsporters Mercurys and Scorpion pistols also got this treatment.
    All this must have been due to accountants intervening. Such is the bullshit that is 'value engineering' The germans never fell for this unless you know better.

My criticism is in the way the Meteor was treated, not the basic premise that it was a budget gun which was a huge success.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Plus Meteors appear to form breeding colonies if given the chance.
    Yeah, theres around 15 in the cupboard at the moment, and I even sold a couple over the years!!!
    Too many airguns!