Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springer HFT - Break Barrel or Underlever?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Springer HFT - Break Barrel or Underlever?

There is a springer shoot soon at the club.

Does one

1. take a nice heavy underlever to get the steady aim and subdued recoil, but pay the penalty in manoueverability and also stamina on the difficult standing shots?

2. take a lighter but more jumpy break-barrel to give the edge on standing shots and anything that needs a bit of twisted posture?

Ideally one would have built up one's strength with hundreds of hours of underlever practice but one has not.

If the proportion of standing shots were to be greater than 50% I would say the break barrel but if mostly rested then the underlever.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

LGV.

Thumbs up

HW80 running a 25mm reduced piston will work wonders
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    LGV.
    is the answer

Mmmmmmm.......that'd be a toughie. Although certainly not an expert in this field, a few years ago I was fortunate enough to visit Lincs HFT Club a couple of times. On one occasion I took a 77. Another time one of the 95s. Very tough choice.....

I think it'd be between the 77/97 and a 99 (the 99 tuned down a tad more to get it even sweeter shooting and more able to take advantage of its lighter weight and compact demeanour). I'd even once toyed with the idea of the super-sweetie little 30. But, if keeping the power lower to maintain that unbelievable cycle, it may suffer much more in windy conditions.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    LGV.
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    is the answer
    Very, very possibly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I can't imagine the benefits of using a light goods vehicle on the course....

IGMC
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    There is a springer shoot soon at the club.

Does one

1. take a nice heavy underlever to get the steady aim and subdued recoil, but pay the penalty in manoueverability and also stamina on the difficult standing shots?

2. take a lighter but more jumpy break-barrel to give the edge on standing shots and anything that needs a bit of twisted posture?

Ideally one would have built up one's strength with hundreds of hours of underlever practice but one has not.
    A heavier break barrel would surely answer both briefs.
    Another vote for the LGV - or a NickG 80.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Personally I'd take my heavy TX200. It has lead added near the butt pad, so even more of a lump than standard, but it balances well and is lovely to use when you only unsling it for a few minutes at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    If the proportion of standing shots were to be greater than 50% I would say the break barrel but if mostly rested then the underlever.
    Nothing to consider. For HFT thiere is only 1 unsupported standing shot!!
    .22 Winner 2014 World HFT Championships (S400)
    Recoiling Winner 2017 World HFT Campionships (HW97k)
    HFT England team 2018, 2019, 2020 (Rhino enhanced HFT500)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieneilie View Post
    That would be me done for then.
    My main shooting excuse is the statins give me the shakes and as for prone, kneeling or sitting on a cushion both knees are so knackered nowadays that I cannot get down.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    HW80 running a 25mm reduced piston will work wonders
    I'm having the same thoughts, been invited to have a go at hft, but carrying a few injuries, so think i'll try my Paul Short reduced cylinder 80, that should do the job nicely

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieneilie View Post
    A quick aside, what optics would you recommend on, for example the 97 or TX200 ?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Mmmmmmm.......that'd be a toughie. Although certainly not an expert in this field, a few years ago I was fortunate enough to visit Lincs HFT Club a couple of times. On one occasion I took a 77. Another time one of the 95s. Very tough choice.....

I think it'd be between the 77/97 and a 99 (the 99 tuned down a tad more to get it even sweeter shooting and more able to take advantage of its lighter weight and compact demeanour). I'd even once toyed with the idea of the super-sweetie little 30. But, if keeping the power lower to maintain that unbelievable cycle, it may suffer much more in windy conditions.
    thats basically the choice ... you think the same as me as I was thinking to take the 30 but it runs out of puff after 30 yards..

A heavy break barrel is kind of the worst of both worlds to me. I've a HW35 Export I need to build up so I could prove myself wrong at some point.

I'm going to take my long-stroke old school HW50 with the long barrel. Might put it in a HW99 stock to get the rubber recoil pad.

Thanks gentlemen.