Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new 300bat air bottle has leaky bleed valve.

Brand new 300bat air bottle has leaky bleed valve.

Hi all
    My brand nee Hydrotech 12l 300 bar bottle had a leaky bleed valve. Wouldn’t fill a cylinder, air just escaped out of the bleed valve.
    Retailer replaced it, and the replacement suffers the same issue. Internet sale, not easy to return

And, yes I’m tightening the valve.

Asking for a refund, hitting a brick wall. Retailer tells me it’s impossible there are two faulty. Manufactured to the highest possible standards

Would a Best Fittings push button bleed valve sort it?

I’m pleased I’m not diving with it.

Advice gratefully received, thanks

if it was mine id ask for a refund

hello, it sounds like a bad seating where the valve sits in the guage, did you clean inside as even a spec of dust might stop the surfaces joining flush

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    When you had the bottles filled did they comment on it ? That would support your case for a refund.

I don't think a push button would solve the issue. The push button would need to seal on what's already in there.
    Have a good look down the hole to see if anythings in there that shouldn't be.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Thanks guys.
    It was delivered in person, filled.
    If’s got to be something minor. I’ll have a peer down the hole after removing the bleed screw.
    Yes, a refund would be handy but I still need a bottle.
    Here goes…

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    or the seat for the bleed.... what was repalced ? the bleed screw/button ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If it leaks then both the valve screw & valve seat may be at fault, it it's a damaged seat then changing the screw won't fix it, it will need the complete valve replacing.

If bought new & faulty from the start the seller is legally obliged to replace or fix it, you say the retailer "replaced it" what exactly did they replace ?
    Tell them to take it back & test it for themselves if they don't believe it leaks, it could be a faulty batch from the manufacturer.

I'm slightly worried by the way you say "and yes I'm tightening the valve" these brass valves should only need "nipping up" between finger & thumb to seal,
    If you monster them that can damage the face & **** the valve.

On a lighter note, you wouldn't ever dive with it because the bleed valve is part of what denotes it as "surface use only"

Oh you also duplicated this thread so the other needs deleting via the edit link.
    Last edited by angrybear; 02-03-2024 at 11:24 AM.

Does the bleed valve only leak when connected to the gun to fill and you open the air open handle? ? I had this problem and it was the faulty gauge. New gauge fixed the issue.

Thanks Angrybear, I’ll make another call.
    Thought it might be easy, but I see it won’t be.
    It leaked from the start, same as the first one. Finger tight only.
    I’m only trying to fill a compact ap cylinder, can’t believe it’s so much hassle.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    If it's new then you have law on your side, if it was delivered in person, then ask for it to be collected as it's faulty - the person collecting can confirm the fault on collection so they know it's correct, and this should be at their expense. You have a 14 money back guarantee on all distance selling in law, and also if you paid by PP or CC then you have added protection there also, so make sure the seller knows you are aware of your rights and will contact trading standards and you payment provider for a resolution if they don't sort it - do this all in writing, not phone calls
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by CamroseCas View Post
    Does the bleed valve only leak when connected to the gun to fill and you open the air open handle? ? I had this problem and it was the faulty gauge. New gauge fixed the issue.
    Yes. That’s the same issue as mine. I’ve removed the valve, everything spotless inside, looks like it ought to seal. But how does having a faulty gauge permit air to escape from a sealed bleed valve?

Take it to where you would get it refilled, get their opinion, and see if they would do a written report.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel57 View Post
    Yes. That’s the same issue as mine. I’ve removed the valve, everything spotless inside, looks like it ought to seal. But how does having a faulty gauge permit air to escape from a sealed bleed valve?
    Maybe the air appears to leak from the bleed but is actually from elsewhere,
    have you tested with soapy water or in a water bath, to see the exact place it's leaking from,
    ie is it down the bleed valve screw or where the bleed assy screws in to the cylinder valve or might there be a hairline crack in the bleed valve body?

Hi Angrybear, no, haven’t checked exactly where on the bleed valve the air comes from. I’m in touch with the retailer for an exchange. This time, I’ll check the replacement works on receipt.