Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New members uptake of BBS

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

New members uptake of BBS

It seems that the demographic of airgun shooters, or at least the ones that post on here that is mainly composed of the middle aged to late middle age to young Senior people.

Given the heyday of the airgun in the UK was in the 80s & 90s is there going to be a demographic crash in the airgun shooting population?

Can this be predicted from the rate of non-bot BBS new membership registrations?

Is there a graph?
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 02-03-2024 at 04:43 PM.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I can tell you 69% of the people who watch my youtibe channel are 45 years +, and less than 1% of them are girls.

It’s the last part that surprises me most……

[IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I can tell you 69% of the people who watch my youtibe channel are 45 years +, and less than 1% of them are girls.

It’s the last part that surprises me most……
    Fascinating stuff. I wonder if the lady viewers are looking for technical know-how, trying to understand the middle aged male brain, or after some 'unintentional ASMR'. You could be an unwitting star in a galaxy very different from the SpringerVerse ....

It is very encouraging that there are 31% who are under 45, given the endless distractions and pressures on the Youth nowadays, some are interested in the old pellet gun fun.

I do know this Forum hasn't changed in over the 12+ years since I've been on here. So why should the demographic do so. Before you ask, I don't know.
    All I can remember about being young was, I wasn't knocking about with many old'ens

I think more members are dying than joining, although I could be wrong.

There used to be another couple of air rifle forums, can't remember what they were called. I'd probably get banned if I mentioned them

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    It could be a case of avalible time and income, alot of mine actually went down the Airsoft route as its what was flooding the market when we were teenagers.
    Many who were young in the heyday periods are now those towards the older end of things, their kids are grown and they are winding down so they are more able to revisit what they enjoy and have also the financial means to invest i their kit.
    Doesn't mean the hobby will die with them though, there are definately younger people getting into them, you may however see forum usage drop as much of the sub 30 demographic do not bother with chat rooms or forums, some even barely use sites like facebook preferring newer things like Instagram.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

With permissions ever more increasingly difficult to come by, stricter rulings on purchasing where you can use one etc may all be contributing factors to less people joining the sport

I suppose with so much good choice for not loads and loads of money people are less liable to tinker and thus hunt for information on performance upgrades for rifles, quite a few are good enough out the box, can sit in the corner of the airing cupboard like they went in dispatch pests and go back away

I found the forum when looking for advice on the net and been a member since

ATB seb

Far more things to do with your free time now, many on line based, plus how many modern homes have a garden big enough to plink in ?
    I think the whole of society has become unconsciously anti gun from toys up, and as I've said on other threads shooting clubs just don't advertise that they exist to encourage youngsters in.

At around age 15+ I could shoot a 1000 pellets Most days, Even cheap pellets are £10 + a tin these days , The days have gone where you could have a gun fight with your neighbours over the garden walls, Spent hours shooting through the bedroom window at objects floating down the river when in flood, Back in my early days as a kid most of us started with shotguns, Never no hassle walking around with them or shooting then down by the river etc, As us middle to old age die off I think air rifles will decline, The older guns will also start decreasing in value, Not many around this way who shoot regularly these days, Its not as restricted as most places but still nothing like it was back in the 70s/80s.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    As a kid I lived within walking distance of an abandoned quarry, much enjoyed by kids with air rifles and old motorbikes. My mum sewed me up a case from vinyl so I could carry my rifle up there.

It's a country park now, with a visitor centre and art installations. The kids hang around outside the off licence.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It seems that the demographic of airgun shooters, or at least the ones that post on here that is mainly composed of the middle aged to late middle age to young Senior people.

Given the heyday of the airgun in the UK was in the 80s & 90s is there going to be a demographic crash in the airgun shooting population?

Can this be predicted from the rate of non-bot BBS new membership registrations?

Is there a graph?
    I think you mentioned something on another thread?
    The BBS membership cannot go down, so even people who have not posted for 2. 5.10 years or who are dead are still members. I know of 3 who are dead and suspect a few others are too.
    I'd have a guess that if you had a "not posted for 3 years" deletion point, that the BBS membership would decrease by a third to a half.

More to your point ( I guess). I gave a mate an ASI Sniper for his 14 year old son to use, 10 years ago. He never really used it, because he could use other, much better weapons on computer games.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I think you mentioned something on another thread?
    The BBS membership cannot go down, so even people who have not posted for 2. 5.10 years or who are dead are still members. I know of 3 who are dead and suspect a few others are too.
    I'd have a guess that if you had a "not posted for 3 years" deletion point, that the BBS membership would decrease by a third to a half.

More to your point ( I guess). I gave a mate an ASI Sniper for his 14 year old son to use, 10 years ago. He never really used it, because he could use other, much better weapons on computer games.
    That is a bit sad. The satisfaction of hitting a Trebor mint at ten yards or a Coke can at 30 yards with an ASI Sniper is in a different league to gunning down a hundred ‘enemies’ in Call of Duty or whatever. And more just fun rather than a bloodthirsty fantasy. Also he’ll be surprised if he ever gets to use a ‘real’ firearm. I remember being shocked at how heavy and agricultural the No.4 Lee Enfield was when I had my first go at ‘full-bore’. Nothing like the video games …

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I don't think games are entirely to blame though, I personally did grow up with them, I built a gaming rig when I was 13 and have owned all sorts of consoles etc, but I have always found myself drawn to something that acctually shoots a projectile.
    Rewind to the early 00s, in my Town I couldn't buy an air rifle, the only time I'd see them was when I was visiting Yarmouth and walking by Pownalls etc, but what I did have everywhere was various sellers of 'BB' Guns which were basically Airsoft but not marked as so as the sport hadn't really got here, some kids weren't allowed near them (even mine weren't that thrilled when I brought my first Beretta home) but the odd few of us did get them and had a bloody good laugh using them, most of us played games, heck a mate was always pinching my Desert Eagle to mimic Counterstrike but we did shoot what we could.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    As a kid I lived within walking distance of an abandoned quarry, much enjoyed by kids with air rifles and old motorbikes. My mum sewed me up a case from vinyl so I could carry my rifle up there.

It's a country park now, with a visitor centre and art installations. The kids hang around outside the off licence.
    We had a old pit baths opposite us, Around 100 yards long , upstairs and roof top. Played football, tennis ,cricket and a lot of shooting, Upstairs was in two rooms, Great for the sling when shooting marbles, The marbles would bounce back quicker on the way back once hit the wall, You had to dodge the marbles on the way back, Got knee capped once by a rebound.

As a few members have mentioned about the past.Seems years ago it was easier to take up the sport, this day and age to many problems relating to forms of weapons (eg education) so this will I believe cause a depletion in airgunning
    Cheers manxi
    JOIN DATE 2001 as manxie NOT 2007

A lot is about cost, when you consider price of say HW77 back in early 1980's and what it is now
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177