Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM50 --what do you use it for?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

SM50 --what do you use it for?

I only really use it for leather breech seals.
    What do you use it for?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    What do you use it for?
    I use it for lubricating barrel joints etc.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    What do you use it for?
    The smell reminds me of late 1970s springer ‘tunes’ .. it’s the olfactory equivalent of an Echo & The Bunnymen song.

In terms of actual airgun use it’s the best thing to lubricate a leather washer with, containing silicone for the leather and molybdenum for the metal. As such there’s not much call for it for modern rifles but for pre-1980 it’s a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The smell reminds me of late 1970s springer ‘tunes’ .. it’s the olfactory equivalent of an Echo & The Bunnymen song.

In terms of actual airgun use it’s the best thing to lubricate a leather washer with, containing silicone for the leather and molybdenum for the metal. As such there’s not much call for it for modern rifles but for pre-1980 it’s a must-have.
    I use it on sll my guns for levers,breeches, it's a good general metal to metal lube.

barrel joints mainly

According to its government Safety Data Sheet, SM 50 is oxidised castor oil and molybdenum disulfide powder - no silicone involved. Odd perhaps, but castor oil was the main lubricant for rotary aircraft engines back in the day (to the predictable detriment of aircrew sitting behind them).

https://farmcottagebrands.com/wp-con...nLube-SM50.pdf

A knowledgeable friend told me Beeman's "Ultra Lube" (my personal favorite for leather seals; jealously hoarded as it's extinct) was simply re-packaged SM 50 (which is impossible to find in the US). I would love to get some in hand!
    Last edited by MDriskill; 04-03-2024 at 01:24 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    According to its government Safety Data Sheet, SM 50 is oxidised castor oil and molybdenum disulfide powder - no silicone involved.

I never knew that, it makes a lot more sense now. Abbey used to sell a liquid silicone lube so ‘Silicone Gun Oil 35’ I thought it was a molybdenumised version of that.

I never knew that, it makes a lot more sense now. Abbey used to sell a liquid silicone lube so ‘Silicone Gun Oil 35’ I thought it was a molybdenumised version of that.
    So did I Hsing-ee!

Thanks Mike - that is a fascinating snippet of information.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

That is interesting too! Beeman's "Chamber Oil" was straight silicone, and I would not be surprised if it were this Abbey stuff re-labeled.

That is interesting too! Beeman's "Chamber Oil" was straight silicone, and I would not be surprised if it were this Abbey stuff re-labeled.
    Silicone oil was supposed to be a high flash point oil that would prevent the inconsistency caused by the dreaded dieselling. Maybe it works with leather but for metal to metal it’s not good. I siezed a loading tap with silicone grease one time, I think you can score the metal with it.

Silicone oil was supposed to be a high flash point oil that would prevent the inconsistency caused by the dreaded dieselling. Maybe it works with leather but for metal to metal it’s not good. I siezed a loading tap with silicone grease one time, I think you can score the metal with it.
    Yes - silicone oil is an excellent metal-to-leather lubricant...but a TERRIBLE metal-to-metai one. I use it to re-condition leather piston seals, but carefully absorb all the excess before re-installing them. You don't want it sloshing around inside the action.

According to its government Safety Data Sheet, SM 50 is oxidised castor oil and molybdenum disulfide powder - no silicone involved. Odd perhaps, but castor oil was the main lubricant for rotary aircraft engines back in the day (to the predictable detriment of aircrew sitting behind them).

A knowledgeable friend told me Beeman's "Ultra Lube" (my personal favorite for leather seals; jealously hoarded as it's extinct) was simply re-packaged SM 50 (which is impossible to find in the US). I would love to get some in hand!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    So did I Hsing-ee!

Thanks Mike - that is a fascinating snippet of information.

John
    I never knew that, either. Thank you for sharing.

By the way, the SM50 and Silicone Gun Oil 35 are available from our sponsor, as well as so many other useful products.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

[QUOTE=MDriskill;8288986]That is interesting too! Beeman's "Chamber Oil" was straight silicone, and I would not be surprised if it were this Abbey stuff re-labeled.[/QUOTE

Abbey lube was molyibdanised silicon oil. Why use silicon oil to mix with moly,can't the moly compound be mixed with a standard oil then?

Moly can, indeed, be mixed with "normal " oil. Charlie da Tuna often made references to a special mix. Something along the lines of "Gene's mystery oil". Reportedly a mix of 30w non -detergent oil mixed with moly paste. I believe Bonnie and Clyde used to include a similar lube in their kits. And V-Mach used to include moly oil with the kit.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Moly can, indeed, be mixed with "normal " oil. Charlie da Tuna often made references to a special mix. Something along the lines of "Gene's mystery oil". Reportedly a mix of 30w non -detergent oil mixed with moly paste. I believe Bonnie and Clyde used to include a similar lube in their kits. And V-Mach used to include moly oil with the kit.
    I don’t have the issue but there was a copy of AGW that had a dry-lubed Feinwerkbau Sport. The tolerances on this rifle are such that just dry moly powder could be used to lubricate the piston and seal, and it worked well, consistent and powerful.