Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention all Webley Longbow Guru's

Attention all Webley Longbow Guru's

Hi Guys,
    I acquired a Brumbow last year and wasn't too happy with how it shot.
    I bought a WW kit and proceeded to strip it down.
    Interestingly, the compression tube seems to have a copper, or similar inlay in it. As well as this, there are tiny lateral lines. Now these could be from machining, or the piston juddering, or they maybe are meant to be there.
    Can anyone shed any light on it, before I go an hone the cylinder?
    I have pics, but don't know how to attach, as I don't use image hosting
    Thanks in advance

Longbow

Have you tried the rifle without the inlay in the comp tube. That shouldn't be there and sounds like a DIY job. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Have you tried the rifle without the inlay in the comp tube. That shouldn't be there and sounds like a DIY job. Mach 1.5
    It is definitely meant to be there. It would be impossible to get out and is integral to the compression tube
    How can I put up pics?

Longbow

I own 6 longbows and owned a few more over the years and none had an inlay in the compression tube..hence my reply. Mach 1.5

[IMG][/IMG]

managed it :-)

Likewise, I’ve never come across such a liner and I’ve been collecting Webleys, including Longbows, for decades. My only thoughts are could it be a (sort of) repair of a badly scored cylinder underneath? Severely doubt the factory would have done that - there wouldn’t be a need to on a new gun.

Seems a definite neat stop to the line of the copper. I was wondering if someone had tried copper grease for some unknown reason (and it’s impregnated), but not so sure. Mystery to me.

Cylinder

Doesn't look like an inlay but an issue with the finish maybe? Is it a brum one or Turkey? Or has someone try to sleeve it to a reduce cylinder!! One thing is they didn't leave the factory like that well I hope they didn't. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Likewise, I’ve never come across such a liner and I’ve been collecting Webleys, including Longbows, for decades. My only thoughts are could it be a (sort of) repair of a badly scored cylinder underneath? Severely doubt the factory would have done that - there wouldn’t be a need to on a new gun.
    I'm no engineer, but i am not sure how your would do that?
    It looks like it has been there forever. It goes all the way to the transfer port.
    Le6 me see if I can get another photo up

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnymac View Post
    I'm no engineer, but i am not sure how your would do that?
    It looks like it has been there forever. It goes all the way to the transfer port.
    Le6 me see if I can get another photo up
    Yeah I said that before I saw the photo. It looks like a deposit of some sort, but again a very neat stop line to it.

Doesn't look like an inlay but an issue with the finish maybe? Is it a brum one or Turkey? Or has someone try to sleeve it to a reduce cylinder!! One thing is they didn't leave the factory like that well I hope they didn't. Mach 1.5
    Its a Brum one. Late 2005 I think
    There is a clear defining line between the blued trigger section and the compression tube. It doesn't look like a finish issue

…One thing is they didn't leave the factory like that well I hope they didn't. Mach 1.5
    Unless slug-gun has any ‘unusual’ factory notes on this? I’d have thought that even if, for example, they accidentally over-bored a set of cylinders, they’d have either scrapped them or maybe gone with an oversize piston (affect on seal size?), rather than trying to deposit a layer back.

Odd

So what is the overall consensus?
    Do I try and smooth it out with some wet n dry?
    Or leave it as is, allowing the Moly grease to sit in the microgrooves?