Thread: The American / English - Hy-Score shootoff

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just checked my U.K. Phoenix Hyscore and it does 430fps with 7gr hobby’s.

I generally strip, clean and relube all the pistols I buy to make sure they are operating at their best.
    It’s not really a representative test if a pistol might not have been serviced for 35 years IMO.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Just checked my U.K. Phoenix Hyscore and it does 430fps with 7gr hobby’s.

I generally strip, clean and relube all the pistols I buy to make sure they are operating at their best.
    It’s not really a representative test if a pistol might not have been serviced for 35 years IMO.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks for that test Matt, I find taking apart a Hy-Score a bit intimidating and have never done it. I think this is a major weakness of the pistol in that stripping it is not like taking apart my BSA Standard. I have seen many over here a bit scared up by someone obviously doing or trying to do it. I have always just oiled the piston and all of mine have just worked great, but I always buy examples in very good condition. My only equalizer in a sense is the Phoenix is mint and hasn’t been serviced in 35 years and my Hy-score has not been serviced in about twice as many years. Unfortunately I can’t demonstrate the feel of smoothness of the American pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Thanks for that test Matt, I find taking apart a Hy-Score a bit intimidating and have never done it. I think this is a major weakness of the pistol in that stripping it is not like taking apart my BSA Standard. I have seen many over here a bit scared up by someone obviously doing or trying to do it. I have always just oiled the piston and all of mine have just worked great, but I always buy examples in very good condition. My only equalizer in a sense is the Phoenix is mint and hasn’t been serviced in 35 years and my Hy-score has not been serviced in about twice as many years. Unfortunately I can’t demonstrate the feel of smoothness of the American pistols.
    Hi Steve,
    I don't remember it being difficult, instructions here: https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....03-strip-down/

I understand how you feel though, to be honest when I first started collecting I thought I'd never take any of them apart, for fear of either damaging them or not being able to put them back together.
    That all changed when I first took apart a Webley spring pistol and found it was easy to do and the pistol shot a bit nicer after a service.
    Since then I do it with both pistols and rifles and I think it really closes the circle of the collecting experience: Learning the history, learning exactly how it works and then seeing how it shoots. Also I feel I've done the gun a service to ensure it's shooting at it's best, that's what it was made for after all.

It gives me a more rounded appreciation of an old airgun.
    I'm not very mechanically minded but thanks to the idiot's guide on here, and several other resources it seems it's always possible to find out how.
    What's the worst that could happen? I think the benefits outweigh the risks every time. That side of it has become one of the most enjoyable aspects of collecting for me.

Sometimes it's good to do something scary, I was terrified when I took that Kuchenreuter Bellows gun apart, but it's one of the most rewarding airgun services I've ever done.

Cheers,
    Matt

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Don't suppose any of you guys have a spare rear shutter you'd be willing to part with do you?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I don't remember it being difficult, instructions here: https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....03-strip-down/

I understand how you feel though, to be honest when I first started collecting I thought I'd never take any of them apart, for fear of either damaging them or not being able to put them back together.
    That all changed when I first took apart a Webley spring pistol and found it was easy to do and the pistol shot a bit nicer after a service.
    Since then I do it with both pistols and rifles and I think it really closes the circle of the collecting experience: Learning the history, learning exactly how it works and then seeing how it shoots. Also I feel I've done the gun a service to ensure it's shooting at it's best, that's what it was made for after all.

It gives me a more rounded appreciation of an old airgun.
    I'm not very mechanically minded but thanks to the idiot's guide on here, and several other resources it seems it's always possible to find out how.
    What's the worst that could happen? I think the benefits outweigh the risks every time. That side of it has become one of the most enjoyable aspects of collecting for me.

Sometimes it's good to do something scary, I was terrified when I took that Kuchenreuter Bellows gun apart, but it's one of the most rewarding airgun services I've ever done.

Cheers,
    Matt
    So very true Matt, I can appreciate all you say. I had to take apart my 1914 BSA Sporting cause it came with a broken spring. The journey of sorting the spring, fixing the piston seal and making a new front sight was an experience that bonded me to the rifle. Seems a part of me now never sell that one. Still with most guns I tend to go with “if it’s not broken don’t fix it” lol. I did just buy a Crosman Town and Country 108 at a good price at an auction that said it wasn’t working. One of my favorite American rare classics, kind of looking forward to seeing it I can get her going.
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-03-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Delay to Retesting- Auto accident

I will retest the various Hy-scores once I am release from hospital my wife and suffered a bad auto accident. Louisa and I will fully recovery I an wheelchair bound .

I test every air pistol I own. The Phoenix Arms Hy-score are slower guys.
    My Hy-scores are services and lubed before each test. Variables are minimun and control.

Hy-scores are my thing, only the 805 model is missing in collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    I will retest the various Hy-scores once I am release from hospital my wife and suffered a bad auto accident. Louisa and I will fully recovery I an wheelchair bound .

I test every air pistol I own. The Phoenix Arms Hy-score are slower guys.
    My Hy-scores are services and lubed before each test. Variables are minimun and control.

Hy-scores are my thing, only the 805 model is missing in collection.
    Wow, sorry for your accident, wishing a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    Glad to hear you're both on the mend Randall.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Havey have singlre shot hy-score loading gate

Havey

I have single shot hy-score loading gate. It is on a parts gun of mine.
    Two problems to solve. 1. parts gun is in New Jeresy USA. 2. An auto accident has resulted a lenghty hospitalization may be a few months before I can post loading gate to UK. Great thread, I love Hy-score pistols.

Randall
    Last edited by Re01312; 10-03-2024 at 03:21 AM.