Thread: The American / English - Hy-Score shootoff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The American / English - Hy-Score shootoff

Now have equally cased examples of the English and American version of the Hy-Score pistols. I took them out back and shot them over the chrony. The English version is similar to the short barrel American pistol. With my American cased set I can shoot long barrel and short barrel versions. I assume my versions are from the 1950’s the short barrel has to be and the long barrel came in a very early box. Impression were interesting. My American long barrel was very smooth and easy to cock, huge difference from the other two. It feels like a much lighter spring. The two short barrels were similar in cock but the American seemed a bit smoother. The results with 7 grain Hobbys.

English averaged. 375 FPS

American long barrel 424 FPS

American short barrel 450 FPS

Generally the American pistols seem better finished and a bit smoother. Certainly a difference in power. The surprise to me is the long barrel is just so much easier to cock and so smooth but still pretty powerful. You technical wizards, does the longer barrel make up for a lighter spring? I do think the style of the English pistol is cooler and the fake moderator takes it over the top. It is curious as to why the performance seems less?

Last edited by 45flint; 07-03-2024 at 06:02 PM.