Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A lesson for us all

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

A lesson for us all

My Friend Dave died on Monday. Anyone who has rung this week probably wondered why it hasn’t been me on the phone when they’ve called, or why I’m a little withdrawn otherwise.
    Dave has been a shooting buddy for a few years now, he first contacted me with “I’m interested in tuning my air rifle, but I’m in France so don’t have to worry too much about power”

It turns out he only lived an hour away, and since then, if one of us was going to the range, we were both going to the range, it is rare that you meet someone that you click with so quickly and completely. We even carried on shooting until quite late last year, despite him being diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer late September/early October.
    The end result was frankly known from the outset, but he never gave up hope.
    He had a terrible death, basically starving to death while in great pain that the morphine could not manage.
    if he were a dog, his wife would be prosecuted for cruelty.

I’m sorry, that still annoys me.
    I am slowly getting around to the point. Forgive my rambling.

Today we have been sorting out his gun room. There are quite a lot of rifles, several air guns, a few revolvers , a semi auto pistol, many thousands of rounds of ammo, and a frankly alarming amount of powder, primers, bullet heads and other reloading gear. On top of that we have loads of scopes, chronos, bipods, tripods and other shooting accoutrements

We had no idea what was here, how much it was worth! We found gun safes with no keys, combination safes and trigger locks with no clue as to the combinations. I have managed to get around just about everything with wile, cunning and an angle grinder, but (and here is the point of the thread)

Please let someone close to you know what you have, where it is, roughly what it’s worth and where any keys or combinations are.

I will be starting a sales thread at some point, but as I only want to sell to people I know this may have to wait for the bash sales thread to start.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Always sad losing a bud and probably a lesson in it for most of us. With you on needless pain though.

Sorry to see this .

Yes, a few years ago, I sat down and wrote out instructions for my children.

A good lesson , saves hassle .

Also , the real worth of some stuff, otherwise history may go in a skip or to an unscrupulous shyster .

Sorry to hear this Nick, sad news indeed
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Very sorry to hear this Nick. I've lost a few friends in similar circumstances and it brings it home; not only your mortality, but planning what you'll leave for your nearest and dearest. A couple of years back I did an air rifle inventory, but knowing what comes through the man cave, it was out of date almost as soon as it was completed. But, I don't want to leave it to my relatives to clear up (or get fleeced on).

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    He was a lovely bloke, very down to earth. You would have liked him.
    Here’s a photo his wife took last year. He saw a rabbit from the bedroom window. Zero flicks given!

[IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

A lesson for us all

Sorry for the loss of your mate Tinners.

Sorry to hear about your mate passing Nick. Never easy

So sorry for your loss, mate. I know first hand how awful it is to watch a good friend slip away.
    Myself and Charlie have an agreement - we've both told our significant others to contact the other in the event of, 'a misfortune', and they can then advise the valuations and certain obtaining of items.
    Nothing would make me turn quicker in my grave than some of the valuations certain, 'friends', I've made would offer....
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Cancer is nasty ......had a brother and sister both pass away from it
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Just had someone I work with diagnosed with the same; never going to be an easy ride for anyone involved

I'd considered keeping an inventory of my collection, but if SWMBO ever found it before my passing I doubt I'd have to worry about dying of old age!

Deepest condolences... I've met people through shooting that I'd trust implicitly and count as friends and barely be able to recall their name, it sounds like your shooting buddy was way more than that
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Sorry for your loss Tinbum and don't you worry about rambling, some of the best ways to cope are simply just to talk so if you want an ear there will always be one here.

As to Guns my Mrs sort of knows, no Combo locks or really any so far as theres no kids about and I'm always home but should I change that I will make sure theres a way to help others when Im not there.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

So sorry to hear this, Nick. You had obviously become very good friends. A horrible way to go.

Very good point made on the inventory / access. Something that I've given a bit of thought to also.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    So sorry to hear this Nick
    Such a horrible thing
    Take care mate
    Pete

sorry to hear this nick