[QUOTE=4end;8290345]
Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
Things that used to concern airgunners in the U.K. in the late 70s early 80s included
2. Headshots or heart/lung shots? Enough said. With most spring guns grouping about 1-2” at 20 yards with the pellets of the time, you can see how this was a thing.

Prior to all in the 70/80's in the mid 60's I had a Haenal in 177 that was so accurate I could take pigeons out of the top of the tall Elms that existed before Dutch Elm disease. The aim point was always the white check on the base of the pigeons neck, hit that and the bird would fall. Later rifles in the 70/80's included Original 35 in 22 and a 50 in 177 both OK but not as powerful as the modded Sharp Innova that must have been way,way above the limit that we have today. Scoped and after 40yds the pellet could heard passing through the brambles after passing through a rabbits head. As to its accuracy it must have been good as I do not remember missing much. In 83 I had a HW35, so different to the other rifles of the time, I kept it 3 weeks and have hot had another HW since.

3. Open sights or a scope? Many thought a scope would mean trigger snatching as the crosshairs danced over the mark, or that hunters would try to shoot quarry at unrealistic distances. Fogging & fragility were also seen as minus points.

My first scope was a 2.5x32 Viking that was used for a period before the cross hair wires broke from continual recoil. The magnification was so low it never warranted anything above 35 yds. After it broke I went back to open sights and did not buy another scope for years. I often think it could be in use today if I had left it on the Sharp.
I have a Viking in the cabinet somewhere that came on my theoben olympus.