Thread: Airgun Obsessions of The 70s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    I’d add Marksman pellets to that list, certainly used all of the above in my .22 meteor, that gun shot more vermin than any other I’ve owned since, certainly kept my ferrets well fed back in the 70s, great times I miss them.
    Regard Graham
    'A well-fed ferret' is a concept completely unknown to today's generation. Maybe analogous to an iPhone with a full charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    'A well-fed ferret' is a concept completely unknown to today's generation. Maybe analogous to an iPhone with a full charge?
    Like it
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Being able to buy Marksmans from the local bike shop.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Yep, even in our small town, at least two sports shops and, I think, tackle shops sold pellets. The sports shops sold Relum and Milbro Diana airguns. A sports shop in the next town, Worksop, had BSA and Weihrauch rifles, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Family mail order catalogues selling airguns!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Great thread - takes me back...

New air rifles, pistols - Webley or BSA usually - from the local ironmongers. Never bought a new one then, but can remember buying William Rogers bowie & other knives in my school uniform. Pellets from there, or the local fishing/cycle/model shop. Beatall(?) were a cheap option. Marksman if I was a bit more flush, Webleys were a birthday/xmas treat. Secondhand guns from any number of backstreet 'junkshops', who weren't to particular about age - was it 15 then?.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    New air rifles, pistols - Webley or BSA usually - from the local ironmongers. Never bought a new one then, but can remember buying William Rogers bowie & other knives in my school uniform. Pellets from there, or the local fishing/cycle/model shop. Beatall(?) were a cheap option. Marksman if I was a bit more flush, Webleys were a birthday/xmas treat. Secondhand guns from any number of backstreet 'junkshops', who weren't to particular about age - was it 15 then?.
    I seem to remember the laws then saying you could own one at 14 but had to be 17 to buy one.

That ease of access back then, in my mind, says they really were the golden days. So many will have bitten the bug and hence why there will be so many old airguns tucked away that haven't seen the light of day for many years. Some do re-ignite the passion, though. With today's tighter rules and competition from Internet / social media / computer games etc., we're never going to see the influx we enjoyed back in those happier days.

It's so heartwarming to see any youngsters enjoying our sport. Like a first visit to a Boinger Bash. Or when I visited that bell target club a few months ago. And we need to put our arms around these young ones, welcome and encourage them in as they are the lifeblood for the future. It's great to see the smile on the faces of these youngsters when they connect with targets.
    Last edited by TonyL; 11-03-2024 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Family mail order catalogues selling airguns!
    That took me back. I can still picture one particular page in a catalogue - a Rangemaster and a Statical. Both in 0.22 of course.

The Rangemaster was the Chrissy present that year.

That started the whole downward spiral. Been hooked ever since.

As for the original post and the various comments about pellets. Hands up, yep I tried shooting many different "projectiles" out the barrel. Not all were made of lead and shaped like pellets. Sacrilege I know but I'm a reformed man now.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Excellent!

Imagine how many lifetimes of shooting fun might have been instigated by those catalogues and wide availability of airgunnery toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    That took me back. I can still picture one particular page in a catalogue - a Rangemaster and a Statical. Both in 0.22 of course.

The Rangemaster was the Chrissy present that year.

That started the whole downward spiral. Been hooked ever since.

As for the original post and the various comments about pellets. Hands up, yep I tried shooting many different "projectiles" out the barrel. Not all were made of lead and shaped like pellets. Sacrilege I know but I'm a reformed man now.
    Those catalogues had so many uses too......drool over the air rifles. And, er, some of the "other" pages. Hopefully pester your parents into submission. And then use said catalogue as a pellet trap / power testing device.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Or the paper shop at the bottom of the street. Bought by the thousands in .177 and .22 to shoot through my friends Webley Hawk Mk1.

All I wanted was a Webley Senior. Ended up with a GAT and a suspect Milbro/Diana. We stuffed everything down that barrel once it became clear we couldn't hit a backyard gate at ten yards.

Ferrets and my friends Lurcher.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Like it
    I like that, too. Loved my ferrets. They netted us plenty of bunnies.

My catapults and, later, Meteor andMercury nailed hundreds of rats.

Brilliant!😂😂😂
    Regards Graham