Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Obsessions of The 70s

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Family mail order catalogues selling airguns!
    That took me back. I can still picture one particular page in a catalogue - a Rangemaster and a Statical. Both in 0.22 of course.

The Rangemaster was the Chrissy present that year.

That started the whole downward spiral. Been hooked ever since.

As for the original post and the various comments about pellets. Hands up, yep I tried shooting many different "projectiles" out the barrel. Not all were made of lead and shaped like pellets. Sacrilege I know but I'm a reformed man now.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Excellent!

Imagine how many lifetimes of shooting fun might have been instigated by those catalogues and wide availability of airgunnery toys.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    I’d add Marksman pellets to that list, certainly used all of the above in my .22 meteor, that gun shot more vermin than any other I’ve owned since, certainly kept my ferrets well fed back in the 70s, great times I miss them.
    Regard Graham
    this enough choice of Marksman pellets for you?

https://www.airgunspares.com/airguns...html?brand=467

70's

The Daddy scope mounts of the day were Ernst Apel before sportsmatch took over

Quote Originally Posted by richywilk View Post
    The Daddy scope mounts of the day were Ernst Apel before sportsmatch took over
    I had a one piece for HW, wish I'd kept it, have a pair of 30mm EA dovetail mounts
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I had a one piece for HW, wish I'd kept it, have a pair of 30mm EA dovetail mounts
    You rarely see them for sale nowadays

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Apel mounts were extremely well designed and made. Maybe rose-tinted glasses but they were better than what you get today in quality and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Apel mounts were extremely well designed and made. Maybe rose-tinted glasses but they were better than what you get today in quality and aesthetics.
    Made out of steel not alloy

They do still make and sell them but last time I enquired basic mounts were over £200
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    That took me back. I can still picture one particular page in a catalogue - a Rangemaster and a Statical. Both in 0.22 of course.

The Rangemaster was the Chrissy present that year.

That started the whole downward spiral. Been hooked ever since.

As for the original post and the various comments about pellets. Hands up, yep I tried shooting many different "projectiles" out the barrel. Not all were made of lead and shaped like pellets. Sacrilege I know but I'm a reformed man now.
    Those catalogues had so many uses too......drool over the air rifles. And, er, some of the "other" pages. Hopefully pester your parents into submission. And then use said catalogue as a pellet trap / power testing device.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Those catalogues had so many uses too......drool over the air rifles. And, er, some of the "other" pages. Hopefully pester your parents into submission. And then use said catalogue as a pellet trap / power testing device.
    Or old telephone directories

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Or old telephone directories
    you drooled over old telephone directories ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    has anyone mentioned drilling out transfer ports ?

Sure made the gun kick, so it's got to be more powerful, right ? lucky we never had chronos back then
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    you drooled over old telephone directories ?
    Made good backstops but not anymore, too thin
    Last edited by MartynB; 22-03-2024 at 07:41 PM.

Excellent!

Imagine how many lifetimes of shooting fun might have been instigated by those catalogues and wide availability of airgunnery toys.
    Agreed.

Should have stopped at the fishing rod section, but no, just went a few pages too far and that was it .. addicted.

I don't even think AA (Airguns Anonymous) counselling sessions can help now. Too far gone.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.