Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bsa mercury

bsa mercury

having never seen a bsa mercury I bought one off here a mk2 in .22 .....was impressed full size rifle but not heavy.....I fitted a bsa 3-9 x 40 sight and zeroed it shoots nice using gamo pellets 3/4" group at 30 yards not bad for and old Springer.....it is a keeper

Merc

I bought a new one in 1978 from Don Gray in Chatham.
    Lovely pointable medium weight air rifle. If only it were Weihrauch or Air Arms quality.....

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes they are lovely rifles.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    I bought a new one in 1978 from Don Gray in Chatham.
    Lovely pointable medium weight air rifle. If only it were Weihrauch or Air Arms quality.....
    Out of curiosity, what do you think Weihrauch would of done if they had built the 'HW Mercury ' ?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you think Weihrauch would have done if they had built the 'HW Mercury ' ?
    Weihrauch would find it impossible to build a Mercury. While I like their engineering, they’ve never made a graceful rifle, with the possible exception of the late model HW30S.

Graceful, swoops lines, massive mainspring preload, heavy piston with ‘O’ ring, hazardous and tricky disassembly, chunky but sweet barrel-latch, basic but serviceable trigger.. it’s about as far away from a Weihrauch as a Relum Tornado.

Out of curiosity, what do you think Weihrauch would of done if they had built the 'HW Mercury ' ?
    If they had mated the Mercury and 85k, they would have come up with a Challenger
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Where to begin.... A barrel that went through the breech block, rather than stuck on top.
    Decent metal open sights.
    A sturdy pivot bolt, rather than the cheaper pin.
    Shims on breech block to prevent marking.
    Dovetails cut to a decent length and depth, rather than just scratched into the cylinder.
    A fully adjustable two stage trigger, with a blade that doesn't flex.
    Better quality piston.
    Deep blued finish, rather than paint.

Have I missed anything?

I'd love to see the meteor, mercury and airsporter relaunched, and built to the same standard of HW or Air Arms offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Weihrauch would find it impossible to build a Mercury. While I like their engineering, they’ve never made a graceful rifle, with the possible exception of the late model HW30S.

Graceful, swoops lines, massive mainspring preload, heavy piston with ‘O’ ring, hazardous and tricky disassembly, chunky but sweet barrel-latch, basic but serviceable trigger.. it’s about as far away from a Weihrauch as a Relum Tornado.
    Yep.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Where to begin.... A barrel that went through the breech block, rather than stuck on top.
    Dovetails cut to a decent length and depth, rather than just scratched into the cylinder.
    Better quality piston.
    And yes again.

Shame. As, has been mentioned, the Mercury was a very graceful rifle with fine handling. A rifle that just felt natural being dragged around the fields for hours without causing fatigue. Maybe a little "rangey" feeling, though, so maybe a carbine version will have handled even better? Capable of decent accuracy and the trigger can be set up for relatively nice, clean let-offs although, obviously, it'll never be a Rekord.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Better quality piston.

Have I missed anything?

I'd love to see the meteor, mercury and airsporter relaunched, and built to the same standard of HW or Air Arms offerings.
    You've obviously never seen a later Mercury or S version, they have bluing and breech bolts, the S has metal open sights and metal fake two stage trigger blade, the pistons are pretty well made, just let down by the buffer washer set up, I can't say I've ever had a problem with the scope grooves once you have proper fitting mounts, so most of your list was improved upon, still not to HW/AA quality but much better than the earlier versions.

The metal finish was, most definitely, far better on those later ones, Pete.

BSA's attempt at the breech bolt wasn't the best example of how it should be done, however. The latch itself, as mentioned above, and on another recent thread, is very good.

Like yourself, never had issues with the scope grooves if using quality mounts.

Never been impressed with the quality of the pistons on the examples I've owned, though.

P.S....@ wickerman....do enjoy. They're still a good rifle and able to keep delivering many years of sterling service. A little piece of yesteryear.

Plus they're easy to work on (once you've learned how to handle the end block, and especially if preload isn't excessive) and parts availability still, seemingly, good.
    Last edited by TonyL; 13-03-2024 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Serviceability.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The metal finish was, most definitely, far better on those later ones, Pete.

BSA's attempt at the breech bolt wasn't the best example of how it should be done, however. The latch itself, as mentioned above, and on another recent thread, is very good.

Like yourself, never had issues with the scope grooves if using quality mounts.

Never been impressed with the quality of the pistons on the examples I've owned, though.
    I've seen poor almost rolled metal Merc pistons (like what you see in Meteors but slightly better finish) but I've mainly delt with S pistons which are far better, I agree they could be better, the bolt is an improvement on the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You've obviously never seen a later Mercury or S version, they have bluing and breech bolts, the S has metal open sights and metal fake two stage trigger blade, the pistons are pretty well made, just let down by the buffer washer set up, I can't say I've ever had a problem with the scope grooves once you have proper fitting mounts, so most of your list was improved upon, still not to HW/AA quality but much better than the earlier versions.
    I think I had a Mercury Challenger ? Or was it just Challenger, if I recall very nicely made rifle, mine was very accurate
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Re my comment on post #9 re a carbine, I seem to have a hazy memory that they might have made a carbine at some point? Was it the 635? I imagine that with the shorter barrel and, maybe, a little weight added to the butt, handling would be even quicker......