Thread: Weird piston head?

Weird piston head?

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks to me like the prongs, although ballooned over and a bit bent, are meant to be angled in to hold onto whatever leather seal was fitted?

Anyone seen one of these, and should the prongs be straight? It's from an old Milita

Cheers,
    Matt

piston head

Hi, Mat, I have an old Millita .25 smooth bore [early 1900's?] it has what I assume is a 'white metal' piston head, not leather. perhaps it is missing off yours and the stubs were the method of attaching it or it has been adapted to fit a leather seal? I put a photo' on the 'other' forum. might help. kind regards Al

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Hi, Mat, I have an old Millita .25 smooth bore [early 1900's?] it has what I assume is a 'white metal' piston head, not leather. perhaps it is missing off yours and the stubs were the method of attaching it or it has been adapted to fit a leather seal? I put a photo' on the 'other' forum. might help. kind regards Al
    Thanks mate, yes I think it’s a leather piston fitting, not sure if it’s original or not.

It’s not my rifle, I’ve advised trying to fit a leather cup washer and disc.

Cheers,
    Matt

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It’s not my rifle, I’ve advised trying to fit a leather cup washer and disc.

Cheers,
    Matt
    whatever it is, it looks sh!te... I think your advice above is bang on.. Cut all that crap off, and fit a BSA style leather washer, secured with a centre countersunk bolt.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.