Thread: Hello Again

Hello Again

Hello AirgunBBS

I was a member many years ago (around the time the Theoben Rapid Mk2 and S200 came out) but gave up airguns for a while due to family and work. I've now retired and, due to severe injuries from a RTC, I'm stuck in a wheelchair (high level spinal injury). So to give myself something to do I'm looking to get back into PCPs and doing some plinking and engineering. Ultimately, if I can get a licence, I hope to design and construct my own rifle from scratch, although I'll have to farm out the metal working as I can no longer safely use a lathe or mill.
    Still, at the moment, I'm stuck in a nursing home until modifications can be made to my new home, to allow for the chair, so I am looking for recommendations for bullpup style pcps that are non FAC and would be suitable for a bench rest set up on a 20 to 30 metre garden range with full ballistic backstop. I'm thinking 2 or 3 loose hanging sheets of 1680D nylon weave backed by a cement block wall built into an open faced shed to act as the backstop. My thinking is that the loose 1680D will quietly absorb the pellet energy so that they drop in a catch tray for disposal and, in case of failure, the rear block wall will stop any further travel with the material stopping ricochets. Does that sound reasonable? I would prefer bullpup as I may be able to use them unaided with my elbow on the bench rather than using sandbags ( I need my elbow down to stop me faceplanting into the table )

Apologies for the rambling, Paul

welcome back paul

Hi, I've just joined & I admire your drive & positivity.

For a sound absorbing background I use carpet off cuts, they don't last forever but they are cheap & stop pellets ricocheting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    Hi, I've just joined & I admire your drive & positivity.

For a sound absorbing background I use carpet off cuts, they don't last forever but they are cheap & stop pellets ricocheting too.
    I quite like the idea of ballistic nylon and hopefully it will last a while but I'll do a post on here for advice once I'm released from my nursing home. The new house has a 30m rear garden from rear of house to the fully owned garage block so I should be able to get a 27m range out of it.

It's going to be interesting to see how technology has (or hasn't) changed and with luck, and a decent insurance pay-out, I will be able to buy a bit of accessible land to get a proper range set up.