Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Project; HW99S Shortie

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Sunday Project; HW99S Shortie

I get distracted easily so I am going to announce my projects on here so I actually get them done.

I have done my Sunday chores so don't have anything in the way now.

Project number one is ...

Weihrauch HW99S Kurtz

I got a slightly rough .22 HW99S off here a while ago. I was going to use it if the lead ban came in, to try out .22 non-lead pellets. As this isn't going to happen I am going to make it .177 and try it out with lead pellets.

Mach 1.5 sold me a very nice 12" shortened .177 barrel.

I bought a 'glided' 99 piston of the Bay for some reason a while back, probably just couldn't resist a buttoned piston.

I have a couple of barrel weights, including a nice black Maccari one and another in polished alloy, so I might try one of them.

There is also a HW99S Vortek kit that I bought for the long-stroke HW50II I have, but found that the regular spring is ok.

It might also be fun to see if it will fit in the old HW55 stock I sometimes use on the long-stroke HW50II, but it might lose it's compact feel with that.

Then there is the usual relubrication and checking of seals and trigger adjustment etc.

Then some kind of scope for testing.

I have a feeling it should take less than 2.5 hours for everything, depending on how long it takes to actually find the parts in the boxes in the attic...

I would spend 2.5 hours looking for the bits I have lost.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I would spend 2.5 hours looking for the bits I have lost.
    Took me 45 minutes! The gun is in one piece so that always helps.

Not sure about the Vortek kit. Might just leave it standard for the moment. Less snappy. Also, I don't like the brown grease they have supplied and don't fancy cleaning it off the guides.

Found a nice brass barrel weight that fits well and is heavier than the alloy Maccari one so that was a nice surprise. Will need blacking or painting, can't stand rifles that look like Shire horses on a Sunday drive.

Very good timing.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

I was in the same position the other month with my 50. Needed a cocking arm and stock to complete. Tune wise, TBT top hat, HW spring and guide, spit and polish to the important bits and a little vmach spring grease and job done. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I get distracted easily so I am going to announce my projects on here so I actually get them done.

I have done my Sunday chores so don't have anything in the way now.

Project number one is ...

Weihrauch HW99S Kurtz

I got a slightly rough .22 HW99S off here a while ago. I was going to use it if the lead ban came in, to try out .22 non-lead pellets. As this isn't going to happen I am going to make it .177 and try it out with lead pellets.

Mach 1.5 sold me a very nice 12" shortened .177 barrel.

I bought a 'glided' 99 piston of the Bay for some reason a while back, probably just couldn't resist a buttoned piston.

I have a couple of barrel weights, including a nice black Maccari one and another in polished alloy, so I might try one of them.

There is also a HW99S Vortek kit that I bought for the long-stroke HW50II I have, but found that the regular spring is ok.

It might also be fun to see if it will fit in the old HW55 stock I sometimes use on the long-stroke HW50II, but it might lose it's compact feel with that.

Then there is the usual relubrication and checking of seals and trigger adjustment etc.

Then some kind of scope for testing.

I have a feeling it should take less than 2.5 hours for everything, depending on how long it takes to actually find the parts in the boxes in the attic...
    That's the way I've built 2 hw80s so far from bits I had left over
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

OK thats main bit done ...

Re-barrelled in .177 and fitted with the new glided piston & lube job. Three and a half hours including looking for the bits.

Main delay was the cocking lever pivot which simply would not punch out, and my attempts to make a press from a G clamp failed miserably. Ended up drilling it out with a Proxxon in its tiny drill-press, kind of a European Dremel.

Other delay was putting the cocking lever shoe on backwards.

Pluses are found a nice stainless steel QD cocking lever pin in the parts box, and an appreciation of the 'tile and lug' system of keeping the back block on. While the screw-on type is aesthetically better engineering, the 'tile and lug' system is just easier to deal with.

12" barrel seems VERY short and will be interesting to see how it gets on in terms of accuracy, the brass muzzle weight will have to be done another day as I need some PTFE sheet to protect the barrel before fitting it.

Just need to scope it and it will be ready for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    That's the way I've built 2 hw80s so far from bits I had left over
    I've got an HW35 that only exists in bits from different sources. I think I have all of them, maybe I will have a go at that just now while I've got the grease out ..

I've got an HW35 that only exists in bits from different sources. I think I have all of them, maybe I will have a go at that just now while I've got the grease out ..
    That'll keep you busy

Re-barrelled in .177 and fitted with the new glided piston & lube job. Three and a half hours including looking for the bits.

Main delay was the cocking lever pivot which simply would not punch out, and my attempts to make a press from a G clamp failed miserably. Ended up drilling it out with a Proxxon in its tiny drill-press, kind of a European Dremel.

Other delay was putting the cocking lever shoe on backwards.

Pluses are found a nice stainless steel QD cocking lever pin in the parts box, and an appreciation of the 'tile and lug' system of keeping the back block on. While the screw-on type is aesthetically better engineering, the 'tile and lug' system is just easier to deal with.

12" barrel seems VERY short and will be interesting to see how it gets on in terms of accuracy, the brass muzzle weight will have to be done another day as I need some PTFE sheet to protect the barrel before fitting it.

Just need to scope it and it will be ready for testing.
    Chronos LTD are my local engineering supplier just over the road .....proxxon main dealers and adult toy shop (non sexual unless lathe parts float your boat)

That'll keep you busy
    I think the big question with that rifle is

Do I built it up and cross fingers & hope that it does not have the porous breech problem...

OR

Spend an extra day doing the porous breech fix?

The cylinder has nice blueing and seems good but thats all I know about it.

Hw99

All the ones I own have a 12 inch barrel. Makes the 99 nice and compact. Mach 1.5

Are you putting a moderator on the 12"?

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Are you putting a moderator on the 12"?
    No, just a weight. I don't hunt and I am not a fan of moderators.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Chronos LTD are my local engineering supplier just over the road .....proxxon main dealers and adult toy shop (non sexual unless lathe parts float your boat)
    ahem (shuffles slightly at the back)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.