Thread: Sunday Project; HW99S Shortie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    That'll keep you busy
    I think the big question with that rifle is

Do I built it up and cross fingers & hope that it does not have the porous breech problem...

OR

Spend an extra day doing the porous breech fix?

The cylinder has nice blueing and seems good but thats all I know about it.

Hw99

All the ones I own have a 12 inch barrel. Makes the 99 nice and compact. Mach 1.5

Are you putting a moderator on the 12"?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Are you putting a moderator on the 12"?
    No, just a weight. I don't hunt and I am not a fan of moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Do I built it up and cross fingers & hope that it does not have the porous breech problem...
    For what it's worth we check for void issue with TP plugged and cylinder vertical. A pool of water around joint area then warm jaws and watch for bubbles on water surface.
    If it's faulty we repeat the process with adhesive which gets drawn into the void on cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    For what it's worth we check for void issue with TP plugged and cylinder vertical. A pool of water around joint area then warm jaws and watch for bubbles on water surface.
    If it's faulty we repeat the process with adhesive which gets drawn into the void on cooling.
    That’s a great idea! but maybe there’s some kind of oil or something to use instead of water not keen on getting it in my voids …

That’s a great idea! but maybe there’s some kind of oil or something to use instead of water not keen on getting it in my voids …
    Used turps too. Handy 'cos it leans and evaporates.

OR

Spend an extra day doing the porous breech fix?

The cylinder has nice blueing and seems good but thats all I know about it.
    I used the JB Weld thread lock on mine (Perma Lock or similarly named?). Nice and easy and did the job. Maybe better to do it anyway whilst the gun's in bits for extra reassurance?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I used the JB Weld thread lock on mine (Perma Lock or similarly named?). Nice and easy and did the job. Maybe better to do it anyway whilst the gun's in bits for extra reassurance?
    Probably right .. Did you just drizzle it in under gravity then sand it off or did you do all that arsing around with blocking the TP and generating a vacuum for 24 hours etc?

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I've never fixed a porous part, but when I was casting detailed urethane parts in silicone moulds I learned something that might help someone. I have both a vacuum chamber and a pressure pot, the vacuum is used for degassing resins as well as creating a vacuum to draw resin in, it's a good solution but not everyone has access to a high vacuum pump or suitable container. A pressure pot is much easier to find and compressors are common. You'd think that the pressure pot would be inferior because there will always be a bubble of air trapped in the part. Not always so, when you get to 50 or so PSI the bubble of air will actually dissolve into some resins, leaving no bubble behind. It definitely works with urethane resins that I use, producing flawless castings.

So, it's possible you can completely seal a porous part without a vacuum system.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    I've never fixed a porous part, but when I was casting detailed urethane parts in silicone moulds I learned something that might help someone. I have both a vacuum chamber and a pressure pot, the vacuum is used for degassing resins as well as creating a vacuum to draw resin in, it's a good solution but not everyone has access to a high vacuum pump or suitable container. A pressure pot is much easier to find and compressors are common. You'd think that the pressure pot would be inferior because there will always be a bubble of air trapped in the part. Not always so, when you get to 50 or so PSI the bubble of air will actually dissolve into some resins, leaving no bubble behind. It definitely works with urethane resins that I use, producing flawless castings.

So, it's possible you can completely seal a porous part without a vacuum system.

Interesting; thank you. Tie-ing in with:-
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Probably right .. Did you just drizzle it in under gravity then sand it off or did you do all that arsing around with blocking the TP and generating a vacuum for 24 hours etc?
    Hi Al. A bit of both.......I blocked the TP. Ran some thread lock in. Then squeezed it in, using the piston with its old seal. I then found a suitable small piece of wood which, when fitted behind the piston, was long enough to sustain some pressure with the end block screwed in. Left for a few hours. Removed piston. Left the cylinder for a day then cleaned the end with wide dowel with some wet and dry on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Al. A bit of both.......I blocked the TP. Ran some thread lock in. Then squeezed it in, using the piston with its old seal. I then found a suitable small piece of wood which, when fitted behind the piston, was long enough to sustain some pressure with the end block screwed in. Left for a few hours. Removed piston. Left the cylinder for a day then cleaned the end with wide dowel with some wet and dry on the end.
    That would be the pressure system rather than the vacuum system right? Anyway the way you describe it doesn't sound too tricky. I ought to do it just to rule the problem out. Thanks.

That would be the pressure system rather than the vacuum system right? Anyway the way you describe it doesn't sound too tricky. I ought to do it just to rule the problem out. Thanks.
    Indeed.