Thread: Hw 40 and Beeman p17

Hw 40 and Beeman p17

Just thought or ''few'' I'd put my opinions here on these two.Hand on heart over the years Iv'e had a fair few HW40's
    at a guess maybe 8 or 9. Drawn in by the HW pedigree however Iv'e always found they lack something ( and no not someone who can shoot) lol
    One even blew the main piston seal after only loading it 3 times
    The trigger for example on every one was far far to light,slight touch and bang,the adjustments a joke and didn't work.
    The Beeman p17 in my opinion is what the HW should be,iv'e got a few and they are very good,the triggers are brilliant a bit like breaking the thinnest strand of glass. Accuracy is unreal,power slightly up on the HW.
    Ive always been a proud owner of Weihrauchs the older ones and not the newer ones.

HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

I've never owned the cheaper Chinese copy. I understand that they are an excellent copy but that the cost savings are apparent in a few areas, as you'd expect. Love my HW40 to bits and never had an issue.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Had both, just for comparison, and kept the HW40 - they are better made, moulded frame parts are cleaner, trigger mechanism is made of better components (although dimensions are the same), and barrel is finished at both ends

I altered the trigger on mine by lightening the main spring, and it is perfect

That said, I have recommended the P17 to plenty as it is a wholly capable pistol
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Never had the he but really enjoyed my p17, sold it to a friend for his first and been trying to get it back from him. Cheap enough new just fancied my old one back with all the bits

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

Almost bought a HW40 around the time I got my HW75, just fancied going all metal and top quality at the time. I've since bought a 2nd hand Beeman P17 and while it's a little rough around the edges in materials, it's exceptionally accurate for the money.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Interesting.
    I've compared and shot the HW40 and Beeman side by side on a few occasions and in my experience the HW40 is easily worth the double or so price compared to the Beeman - but it's (for the moment) a free country and each is entitled to his own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Interesting.
    I've compared and shot the HW40 and Beeman side by side on a few occasions and in my experience the HW40 is easily worth the double or so price compared to the Beeman - but it's (for the moment) a free country and each is entitled to his own opinion.
    I might have been unlucky Bob,but it's certainly put me off them,saying that though, I like the early HW guns a lot.
    The new 2024 models aren't for me,been there and got the twangy,Galling T shirt for sure.
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    now the weather's looking up, I'm going to try them side by side myself...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I’m a big fan of both and I’ve lost count with how many HW40’s and the pukka P3’s plus the many clones I’ve had over the years.

Think I’ve tried just about every clone going namely the 2004e, many P17’s, Airforce and even other similar platform types like the Stoeger XP4 etc

I did once do a back to back test directly with the P17 and HW40 unfortunately all the pics I took are on an old pc that’s in the loft and from a hazy conclusion like others have suggested the HW40 just feels a tad more better built as clipper mentions the plastics seem cleaner along with better trigger components.

In all honesty though the price differences nowadays are quite an eye opener the P17 being circa £70 new and the HW40 circa £200

I personally would still probably buy a used HW40 circa £100 over a New P17 but at £70 new it’s pretty much a bargain IMHO

my mate has a few copys and loves them eache to there own