Thread: Bsa Cadet/ Major transfers ports.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Bsa Cadet/ Major transfers ports.

Maybe one for Shed tuner this. As you know, some guns have long transfer ports and a large volume. I was wondering if you could have any success sleeving down a Cadet or Major port or is a case of if it is so long that you cannot get a hole small enough to work efficiently?
    A similar thing with Webley pistols. (I know you had a play with that rough Premier Mk2 years ago).
    I've found with the Hurricane/ Tempest that if the transfer port screw is a fraction too long it can drop power.
    I've wonder sometimes if you made a longer barrel a later Webley pistol if you could reduce the breech seal and housing by half the thickness.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    can't remember how long the ports are, but so long as you don't go smaller than around 2.8mm it will flow OK... 3.0 is pretty much the min for a full 12 FP, but that's not what we are talking.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Maybe one for Shed tuner this. As you know, some guns have long transfer ports and a large volume. I was wondering if you could have any success sleeving down a Cadet or Major port or is a case of if it is so long that you cannot get a hole small enough to work efficiently?
    A similar thing with Webley pistols. (I know you had a play with that rough Premier Mk2 years ago).
    I've found with the Hurricane/ Tempest that if the transfer port screw is a fraction too long it can drop power.
    I've wonder sometimes if you made a longer barrel a later Webley pistol if you could reduce the breech seal and housing by half the thickness.
    How does the Cadet compare with the Meteor in terms of bore & stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    How does the Cadet compare with the Meteor in terms of bore & stroke?
    I've not much of a clue to be honest. I think they are both about an inch bore. I'd guess the Cadet is a shorter stroke and maybe the Major is closer to the Meteor. I've never checked a Diana 25 or 27 piston against a Cadet or Major--------or whether you could put a piston rod and use a Cougar piston!
    Someone did me a .22 (B2 I think) barrel on a Cadet and it was pretty crappy to shoot. They also have a barrel of a scrap Webley Mk3 to fit in a Cadet block, when they are up to it, health wise.

I know you are not going to get a lot of power out of a Cadet, but I was just curious.

Cadets are "nearly" guns. It they had better front stock screws, and the one piece stock, then they are "nearly" right . ----------No spreading breech jaws. No leaky cylinders like some guns ("cough cough") , very low, solid sights, not prone to breaking, and heavy enough to club someone to death with! The AK47 of air rifles
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post

Cadets are "nearly" guns. It they had better front stock screws, and the one piece stock, then they are "nearly" right . ----------No spreading breech jaws. No leaky cylinders like some guns ("cough cough") , very low, solid sights, not prone to breaking, and heavy enough to club someone to death with! The AK47 of air rifles
    Think the Meteor has quite a short TP while the Cadet one is quite long. And wasn’t there one with a built in collander for draining pasta? Description you give reminds me of the Haenal 303 for some reason.

I think they’re perhaps a bit more refined than the AK … maybe the Captain Scarlet of airguns?
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 19-03-2024 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Think the Meteor has quite a short TP while the Cadet one is quite long. And wasn’t there one with a built in collander for draining pasta? Description you give reminds me of the Haenal 303 for some reason.

I think they’re perhaps a bit more refined than the AK … maybe the Captain Scarlet of airguns?
    Yes the Cadet and Major ports are quite long, which probably accounts for some of the low power.

Isn't the colander transfer port thing a design classic? For a designer to put that in, knowing that people would try all sorts of small things in the barrel, is brilliant! It is quite a surprise that the barrel is actually rifled.

As you probably know, the 4 guns I recommend as Plinkers are the Baikal IJ22 or 38, the Diana 25, the Webley Falcon and the Bsa Cadet.
    The Baikal is a well built thing and I can even tolerate the barrel catch and anti bear trap--------but it is not quite as good as the others.
    The Diana 25 (earlier, none safety, Milbro made one) is good (I bought a .22 one just before Christmas about 3 years ago) -------but that rear sight lets it down. A solid sight like the Gecado versions would be more durable.
    The Webley Falcon is a bigger gun and I do like the cheap, but good rearsight on them. A rough Webley Falcon with a tired mainspring is the gun I plink with on Christmas Day

BUT there is just something about a plink with a Cadet and some cheap pellets that captures the essence of Plinking.

totally agree about cadets,very well made and finished rifles also very accurate even though the fit is a bit of a squeeze.they don't seem under powered to me but maybe thats because i only use them at 15 to 20yds.i have 3 varying from a bit scruffy to very nice,the scruffy one shoots the best.

I was pondering the same thing. I have a nice Cadet Major with new spring, polished piston etc. but it struggles to compete with some of my pistols. It must have potential to do more!

It was my intention to try a sleeved port - just need to clear the stuff I have in for repair and then hopefully find some time to start it.

Steve.