Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rifle blueing

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    Does Mid Counties Blacking do Blueing? there is a big difference and the question by Leswado asked for Blueing! I’m going to get some air rifles traditionally blued from Shaun at ISP, looking at his work I’ve never seen better quality. When you see the depth and sheen you just know it’s the best!
    There is absolutely no difference, it's just terminology. Why not call MidCounties, ask the same question and educate yourself?
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    There is absolutely no difference, it's just terminology. Why not call MidCounties, ask the same question and educate yourself?
    I’m all for education Craig, knowledge is King and it’s amazing what you find out by calling people and asking!

One is traditional blueing and is more labour intensive to create. It is used particularly where people want both a traditional blued finish which is more durable than chemical blacking and creates much less stress on soldered joints for example in shotguns. It is also more expensive to do well compared to chemical blacking which seemingly is a cheaper process to do.

I will bear it mind getting an air rifle chemically blacked in the future if the need arises for an air rifle if the original finish was blacked in the first instance. I’ve seen some photos of Mud Counties blacking and I thought it was excellent 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    I’m all for education Craig, knowledge is King and it’s amazing what you find out by calling people and asking!

One is traditional blueing and is more labour intensive to create. It is used particularly where people want both a traditional blued finish which is more durable than chemical blacking and creates much less stress on soldered joints for example in shotguns. It is also more expensive to do well compared to chemical blacking which seemingly is a cheaper process to do.

I will bear it mind getting an air rifle chemically blacked in the future if the need arises for an air rifle if the original finish was blacked in the first instance. I’ve seen some photos of Mud Counties blacking and I thought it was excellent 👍🏼
    Karl, I’ll write this out for you in way that not only my five year old son understands, but my three year old dog understands too:

MidCounties do, what you know as, ‘traditional hot tank blueing’. The labour involved is indeed intense - and a lot more involved than simply blasting something over a polishing mop...
    As said, MidCounties obtain the best quality blueing/blacking I’ve seen.
    I honestly can’t be arsed with keyboard battles ( and you really should be your own man… ). This isn't my field so I'll bow out now and forward you to Darren and Stef should you have any further enquiries.
    Warmest regards.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation