Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Not sure this is right tbh, because the existing chequering was sanded flat. I agree it would look worse if the chequering was damaged further, but IME this is unlikely with care, because the lines just need to be followed. Maybe the tool I using was so blunt the wood was safe from me bu**ering it up.
Its been messed about a plenty over the years.
Chequering is a lot harder than it looks, especially first cut. Its a real skill and there is a lot of not great chequering done, heck even on "best guns". Its also not impossibly difficult but it does take a shed load of application. It comes down to the character of the person and good tools.
Does it matter from 5m away? Chequering is for added grip, and most works. The very best chequerers are in a league of their own.

Might your rifle look better for a recut? Sure. Its your rifle too. But with older rifles recutting loses some of its history, even the bad history.
If it was a really historically important original rifle then leave it alone. If not then fill your boots, or just move it on.