Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage stock - is this a rescue or possibly making it worse?

Something like this would do the job nicely

https://www.brownells.co.uk/VEINER-L...iner-100048196

and see here for a good guide

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/how-to-r...on-a-gunstock/

Lakey

Please, send it to someone who has experience of chequering.
    There's about an hours' work there for an experienced chequerer, so it won't cost the earth - but to correct a job where someone has, 'had a go', could cost more than double.
    Following a line is easy - maintaining depth and cut direction isn't - neither is selecting the correct cutter angle to suit the LPI, which nobody has mentioned.
    Borders are not put on to hide overruns, it's a myth. They obviously can be used in this way but a neat, double or mullered/English border is more difficult to cut than the chequer itself and is a sign of ability, not to hide an overrun ( which can be corrected in a number of other ways ).
    If you were closer, I'd do it for you but you're not exactly local sadly.
    Cleaning up a infilled chequering pattern with a dulled, single line Dembart cutter is fine - but that needs a correct recut and should be left to someone with experience. Trust me, I have several stocks in for attention right now, all from someone, 'having a go'.
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Please, send it to someone who has experience of chequering.
    There's about an hours' work there for an experienced chequerer, so it won't cost the earth - but to correct a job where someone has, 'had a go', could cost more than double.
    Following a line is easy - maintaining depth and cut direction isn't - neither is selecting the correct cutter angle to suit the LPI, which nobody has mentioned.
    Borders are not put on to hide overruns, it's a myth. They obviously can be used in this way but a neat, double or mullered/English border is more difficult to cut than the chequer itself and is a sign of ability, not to hide an overrun ( which can be corrected in a number of other ways ).
    If you were closer, I'd do it for you but you're not exactly local sadly.
    Cleaning up a infilled chequering pattern with a dulled, single line Dembart cutter is fine - but that needs a correct recut and should be left to someone with experience. Trust me, I have several stocks in for attention right now, all from someone, 'having a go'.
    Best, Craig
    I hear you that me taking a go will not live up to what a real pro could accomplish. But not sure a professional checking job would look right on a rifle in this time frame. I have hear it said that in the 1920-30’s checking was given to apprentices who weren’t exactly artists of the day? If you look at the current checkering you find a job that looks a bit amateurish? I may spend more time doing this job than the original checkerer and may actually be more in the ballpark of the original? There is the other side of me that says leave it be.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Craig-P is right, too easy to balls it up & make it worse. You only need to get one line go wonky & it can be a nightmare to put right. But an hours work? explains why i will never be a professional checkerer, to put that right would take me a day at least just to do one panel and that spread over three days so my eyes could cope with the strain! A better man than me gunga din.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I hear you that me taking a go will not live up to what a real pro could accomplish. But not sure a professional checking job would look right on a rifle in this time frame. I have hear it said that in the 1920-30’s checking was given to apprentices who weren’t exactly artists of the day? If you look at the current checkering you find a job that looks a bit amateurish? I may spend more time doing this job than the original checkerer and may actually be more in the ballpark of the original? There is the other side of me that says leave it be.
    I've no idea of the history in all fairness mate. I just personally feel the lovey shape of that Prince of Wales grip warrants a correct job. And going over the four way curve will test the operation of the cutter in each of the four ways. Shame to leave it as it's clearly a sanding issue - it could look really nice.

I'm going to throw the cat into the pigeons now and propose the use of a file.
    A cutter may dig or wander whereas the file is easier to control. It will easily follow the line and the cut can be made more progressively than with a blade through pressure control. Results may be
    constantly checked with subtle compensations made as you either push or pull.
    I'd clean a metal thread this way and see this as being no different. I frequently file wood in joinery work to achieve final accuracy.

...And a butter knife can also be used as a screwdriver...

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Something like this would do the job nicely

https://www.brownells.co.uk/VEINER-L...iner-100048196

and see here for a good guide

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/how-to-r...on-a-gunstock/

Lakey
    Great articles there Lakey, thanks.

As Kurt says, " The Riffler file is great for cleaning up old checkering as well as getting into tight spots near the borders. I'll admit that I didn't use one of these the first couple of years that I checkered, but when I finally got one I didn't know how I lived without it. With a little practice it will be a go-to tool in your checkering arsenal. "

We live and learn eh!...
    Last edited by Epicyclic; 23-03-2024 at 12:28 AM. Reason: adding an 's'...

Thanks but I usually don’t post my screw-ups. Lol. But seriously it would be great to successfully restore such a great rifle.
    Could you buy a cheap scrap stock to practice on? Then decide depending on how it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    Could you buy a cheap scrap stock to practice on? Then decide depending on how it goes?
    I am actually now thinking of trying to sell it. I just bought an example that is in much better shape: do I really need two. Only reason to keep it they are 2 different calibers? The collecting game upgrade your example and sell your first find?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not sure this is right tbh, because the existing chequering was sanded flat. I agree it would look worse if the chequering was damaged further, but IME this is unlikely with care, because the lines just need to be followed. Maybe the tool I using was so blunt the wood was safe from me bu**ering it up.
    Its been messed about a plenty over the years.
    Chequering is a lot harder than it looks, especially first cut. Its a real skill and there is a lot of not great chequering done, heck even on "best guns". Its also not impossibly difficult but it does take a shed load of application. It comes down to the character of the person and good tools.
    Does it matter from 5m away? Chequering is for added grip, and most works. The very best chequerers are in a league of their own.

Might your rifle look better for a recut? Sure. Its your rifle too. But with older rifles recutting loses some of its history, even the bad history.
    If it was a really historically important original rifle then leave it alone. If not then fill your boots, or just move it on.

Craig Petty is superb at the job and he will listen to what you would like from it. He's a great bloke to deal with and very helpful. His work is fantastic. Even with the lines present and correct tools, it's easy to go off course and double line/over cut etc in places. I don't know if that helps? Either way, it'd be nice to see it when done. Hope you get on ok with it and enjoy it if you decide to do it yourself likewise. Best wishes. T

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Stocks View Post
    Craig Petty is superb at the job and he will listen to what you would like from it. He's a great bloke to deal with and very helpful. His work is fantastic. Even with the lines present and correct tools, it's easy to go off course and double line/over cut etc in places. I don't know if that helps? Either way, it'd be nice to see it when done. Hope you get on ok with it and enjoy it if you decide to do it yourself likewise. Best wishes. T
    Decided to put it on my sale table at the next two airguns shows as is. If it doesn’t sell I may go at it?