I have just found this Lanes Gem at the back of a cupboard, and it is something I had completely forgotten about. As most of you know, I rarely buy rifles, but something about its potential and low price must have prompted me to buy it, as it is in a pretty poor state and needs a lot of work. It looks as though it was someone’s restoration project that was never completed.

I know that in general Gems are not worth very much, so with a view to moving it on, I would like to know if this particular item is worth spending a lot of time and effort on a full sympathetic restoration, or should I just get it into good working order and leave it at that?

Currently it is “in the white” but a bit rusty, and there is still shallow pitting in some areas. All the pins are missing, and the stock has been stripped back to bare wood. On the plus side, all other original parts are there, and the lettering and engine turning on the barrel and barrel catch are very clear.

The opinion of any of you knowledgeable air rifle collectors would be much appreciated.