Thread: Repro pellets box's revisited

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Matt,

The UV test is based on the fact that UV brighteners were first introduced onto the paper and card making industries in 1950. These invisible dyes convert the invisible UV light in daylight into bright blue/white light and so make white card and paper look even whiter and brighter. They were so popular and cheap that by about 1965 virtually all commercial white card and paper had these in. In fact it is now extremely difficult to find any without them in, so much so that paper with no UV brighteners is used for banknotes, knowing that forgers have a very hard time getting such paper.

So if anything with white paper labels or made of white card glows blue-white under UV light, you can be 100% certain that it was not made before 1950.

On the other hand, if it does not glow under UV you cannot be 100% certain it is a genuine pre-1950 product, because the use of UV brighteners was phased in, but you can be very near certain that it is pre-1965.

So the UV test is by no means the perfect dating tool, but it certainly can be a big help, and for the cost of a few pounds off Fleabay it is a no-brainer.
    Fantastic stuff, thanks John.
    I’ve ordered my UV torch and Dario tells me that thanks to this info he was able to check his pellet box collection and is much reassured.

Got to be worthy of a short public service video.

Cheers,
    Matt

i wish id kept a load of my old boxs off years ago

Thank you for Teaching us

Guys,

I always learn great stuff about my hobby on this site. I have a UV torch
    but never used it for aging boxes and such until now.

John, Thanks for teaching us about UV dating.

Randall

I would love to look at auction no .285781509777 under one of these lights. An obvious modern photocopy.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Having revived a UV torch I am happily reassured my handful of pellet box’s are legit, including a couple I wasn’t sure about. Fantastic info on the UV test. Thanks again John!

Cheers,
    Matt