I was brought up with the old school trigger technique of taking up the first pressure on the initial aim, then as the sights settle on the mark release the breath and hold, allow sight to sit on the mark while second pressure is taken up, the sear will trip at some point and the shot will be released, and a couple of seconds allowed as follow through. Anticipating the sear tripping was seen as a fault, the holding steady on aim and a constant rearward pressure would take care of everything.

It’s a technique that will work with most rifles from a Lee Metford .303 to a Feinwerkbau 300. I like the second pressure to have at least 2lbs pull weight or it doesn’t feel right.

However I see many people with PCPs or springers with an active trigger mechanism like an HW or AA set their trigger super-light and they snatch the trigger as the sights dance over the mark. Some people seem to be successful with this. I was taught this was bad form, that it was dangerous to set your trigger to a ‘hair trigger’ weight, and also it was poor technique ultimately affecting consistent accuracy.

Given that I was taught to shoot by my Dad, who learned from his Dad who learned it in the Officer Cadet Corps from Boer War veterans, am I a little out of date? Is snatching a very light trigger the thing nowadays?