Thread: Ball Latches Inferior?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Ball Latches Inferior?

As I’m interested in the Remington Express at the moment, I’ve looked at YouTube videos about them. One Remmy enthusiast complained about the ball-type latch on the rifle, claimed it was weak and said it allowed barrel droop to occur when he fitted the rifle with a silencer.

One of the most successful springers in history had the ball-type barrel latch. I know some people were concerned about its long term stability but generally it gave an excellent lock-up allowing for staggering accuracy. The Original Diana rifles also use this system, as does one of the Spanish makes. HW on the other hand only used it for the little HW30, although that rifle is known for its extraordinary accuracy. It must be cheaper to make than a chisel-type, so why isn’t it more common?

Is the YouTuber right in his criticism.. and surely if the barrel droops isn’t that an issue with the spring behind the ball not the ball itself?

I’m perplexed. The tiny ball in the FWB sport gave as good or better accuracy than locked-breech guns like the Anschutz 335 and HW35 …

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    When I put an HW silencer on a BSA Scorpion pcp the poi dropped slightly
    I guess adding weight to the end of the barrel can cause a slight droop regardless of being a break barrel or not
    Pete

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Could be a difference in tolerances and metal harness I guess, the Remmy may just not be as tight or solid as the others so it suffers the design flaws more.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    When I put an HW silencer on a BSA Scorpion pcp the poi dropped slightly
    I guess adding weight to the end of the barrel can cause a slight droop regardless of being a break barrel or not
    You’re absolutely right as that’s just physics but this gentleman was claiming his Remington Express was unlatching slightly at the breech which is quite different to the very slight bend you describe…

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    As I’m interested in the Remington Express at the moment, I’ve looked at YouTube videos about them. One Remmy enthusiast complained about the ball-type latch on the rifle, claimed it was weak and said it allowed barrel droop to occur when he fitted the rifle with a silencer.

One of the most successful springers in history had the ball-type barrel latch. I know some people were concerned about its long term stability but generally it gave an excellent lock-up allowing for staggering accuracy. The Original Diana rifles also use this system, as does one of the Spanish makes. HW on the other hand only used it for the little HW30, although that rifle is known for its extraordinary accuracy. It must be cheaper to make than a chisel-type, so why isn’t it more common?

Is the YouTuber right in his criticism.. and surely if the barrel droops isn’t that an issue with the spring behind the ball not the ball itself?

I’m perplexed. The tiny ball in the FWB sport gave as good or better accuracy than locked-breech guns like the Anschutz 335 and HW35 …
    The reason that Diana ball latches are better than the FWB and others is because they have an inner spring, even the 350 MAG has no problems

I’ve had a few remmy’s and not had a weak lockup on any and a couple I’ve tapped to open the breech, fitting a mod can cause a different poin simply from having less flip and I guess that’s what happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    I’ve had a few remmy’s and not had a weak lockup on any and a couple I’ve tapped to open the breech, fitting a mod can cause a different poin simply from having less flip and I guess that’s what happened to him.
    It looks pretty chunky so I think you’re right. What does the ball locate into? On the HW30 it simply snaps over a round pin, maybe if it’s a stud like in an FWB Sport there could be irregularities? I don’t know.

Quite curious about the Remington, only thing is it’s not the kind of rifle I would keep, just buy tune and move on .. still they’re quite inexpensive..

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    .......fitting a mod can cause a different poin simply from having less flip......
    Yes; this.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

As you hint in the OP, and Barry and others mention, I would think it has more to do with the individual design and integrity, strength of spring etc and tolerances than whether it's a ball or chisel detent, Al.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It looks pretty chunky so I think you’re right. What does the ball locate into? On the HW30 it simply snaps over a round pin, maybe if it’s a stud like in an FWB Sport there could be irregularities? I don’t know.

Quite curious about the Remington, only thing is it’s not the kind of rifle I would keep, just buy tune and move on .. still they’re quite inexpensive..
    It’s exactly the same as the Diana set up with the triangle lug it rides over.

I am slowly rebuilding a ball catch Mk3 Meteor, bought as spares last year. Bearing in mind that it is 50+ years old so may have worn and is just the assembled barrel and cylinder, the lock up feels weaker and it is much easier to break open.
    It won't be as well engineered as the Feinwerkbau and this was obviously a short lived experiment which BSA must have revoked for a good reason.
    Still looking for a stock for it.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

My Express doesn't suffer droop.
    The ball catch works just as it does on many Dianas
    The breach adjusts so as to set the jaws for drag.
    The only minor issue is the Chinese failure to use a shim under breach seal.
    That can cause a consistency issue
    I use the shim from a Diana model 34 and a BS109 O ring and it's sorted
    Replacement breach seals are then pennies in a choice of 3 hardness types.