Thread: PCPs With Floating Barrels

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

PCPs With Floating Barrels

I love my old BSA Scorpion, it’s all the PCP I’ll ever need. A simple super accurate single shot. One of the reasons I was attracted to it was its floating barrel, no issues with barrel bands etc.

However I do find it awkward leaning it against things. The leverage from muzzle to breech is quite significant, and I’m not troll enough to lean it on its scope. How do other people deal with this? I keep thinking of making a kind of U shaped guard to attach to the stock, a bit like the front sight protector on an SMLE but much bigger, to give something to lean with that’s not the barrel …

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I'd say look at something that fits to a solid part too, never held a PCP so can't say if the resivior would be a solid enough point but being the furthest forward you might be able to attach something there to act as a point it can be leaned on.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    I'd say look at something that fits to a solid part too, never held a PCP so can't say if the resivior would be a solid enough point but being the furthest forward you might be able to attach something there to act as a point it can be leaned on.
    Something can be fitted to the front of the ABS stock. Try a PCP for size, the biggest shock is how light they are. There’s no piston or heavy spring in them, just a barrel a thin steel tube to hold the air and a small block of ‘works’. Totally different thing to a springer, maybe a bit soulless but very gratifying to shoot tic-tacs at 30 yards without much effort ..

Just to clarify do you mean at home when not in use or what

Obvious answer is get a gun cabinet, or you could make a simple L frame stand.

Make sure the stock is sitting flat on the floor, so it can't fall forward or back only side to side, have it as close to vertical as possible, maybe 10-15 degrees, with a slotted barrel support.

The barrels are quite solid provided you don't lean it at much of an angle.

You can also buy magnetic or suction cup stands for propping guns & fishing rods against cars, same rule applies - as close to vertical as possible.

Or, if it's an option, Al, for home storage, could you store in a safe box, laid on its side?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

When I see images of many PCPs with floating barrels, especially those where not a lot of the barrel seems to be located into the breech block, I think of this potential issue. I know there are so many advantages cited for the floating design, but I still think I would feel more reassured with a more solidly mounted barrel. Also, Al, at a glance, despite the knocking that BSA PCPs seem to receive these days, it looks to me like more of the barrel is located within the breech block as compared to some others. And the HW100 looks nice and solid to me....and you don't hear many complaints about accuracy with those.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

We have confidence in springers which all have floating barrels. We even use the barrel as a lever.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Agreed. And it's something I've often put thought to, Baz.

But the vast majority of them are nice, thick barrels in sturdy breech blocks. Obviously there are exceptions (mentioning no names!) and the integrity of the latching mechanism is so vitally important on the break barrel.

But I often cringe when I see some PCPs with seemingly very thin barrels and not a lot of that barrel set into the breech block......

With the scorpion I don't think there's anything to worry about. I too like the bsa's over say an s400 for the sturdy free floating barrel.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I think it could be down to build quality or bad handling. Never had any issues with any of mine.
    I do try to lay them down when ever possible for obvious reasons.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Something can be fitted to the front of the ABS stock. Try a PCP for size, the biggest shock is how light they are. There’s no piston or heavy spring in them, just a barrel a thin steel tube to hold the air and a small block of ‘works’. Totally different thing to a springer, maybe a bit soulless but very gratifying to shoot tic-tacs at 30 yards without much effort ..
    Tbh I've not really been places where I could do that, not yet found a local Gun shop past Airsoft and didn't get long in Pownalls last Yarmouth visit, my 880 isn't a million miles off being a Pumper but part of what takes my mid off things is needing to put the effort in, that said might be good for speed drills if a repeater.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I love my old BSA Scorpion, it’s all the PCP I’ll ever need. A simple super accurate single shot. One of the reasons I was attracted to it was its floating barrel, no issues with barrel bands etc

However I do find it awkward leaning it against things. The leverage from muzzle to breech is quite significant, and I’m not troll enough to lean it on its scope. How do other people deal with this? I keep thinking of making a kind of U shaped guard to attach to the stock, a bit like the front sight protector on an SMLE but much bigger, to give something to lean with that’s not the barrel …
    If there are concerns about pushing a floating barrel out of alignment then fit a barrel band, you have answered your own question, end of problem. My Logun Solo was forever out of alignment sometimes from just putting it in its sleeve. SWE made me a barrel band and since fitting it has remained consistently accurate