Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Plinking?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Pond Plinking?

As a kid I was told off for shooting over water and never done it since, but I will be going to my son's farm again this year for another marathon plink and was thinking how nice it would be to put a bench by the pond in the evening and relax having shooting fun at targets on the pond.

Can anyone see any safety issues there is a bank and open fields for miles behind the pond as you can see in the pics.

I'm fairly sure off the top of my head, that it's illegal under the firearms act.
    I'll see if I can find the rule later.

Well I've been through the act & can't see it so I'm now wondering if it's the shooting of lead across water
    I know I read something about 'shooting over water being prohibited' somewhere, I just can't remember where.
    Last edited by angrybear; 24-03-2024 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm fairly sure off the top of my head, that it's illegal under the firearms act.
    I'll see if I can find the rule later.
    Thanks I don't want to break any laws.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I know Leads a definate no no over water because of its toxicity, could be a work around though if you use a water Gun to do it as you can get ones with enough oomph to knock a target over but be the right side of things.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    I know Leads a definate no no over water because of its toxicity, could be a work around though if you use a water Gun to do it as you can get ones with enough oomph to knock a target over but be the right side of things.
    What about lead free pellets?

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Maybe but as AB says it may now be outright banned under Firearms laws, just tried googling it and it just gave me the stuff on firing on public land, most Lead frees are plastic too so bare that in mind if anythings living in that pond if it does turn out legal.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Maybe but as AB says it may now be outright banned under Firearms laws, just tried googling it and it just gave me the stuff on firing on public land, most Lead frees are plastic too so bare that in mind if anythings living in that pond if it does turn out legal.
    My son informs me that there are no fish at the moment the visiting swans and ducks now gone have had them. I am pleased that I checked here before making any plans

perfectly legal to shoot lead pellets over water with an air rifle.
    it is the use of shotguns with lead shot that is banned over water, unless the shotgun is 9mm calibre or less.

no ties to the link below, but looks like it could be entertaining.

https://woldfarmshooting.co.uk/

Looks a perfect day to me I would get a couple of rods set up and get them in first and then have a plink.

If shooting into the pond then it may not be a good idea, Them pellets can quite easily bounce off the water.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    If shooting into the pond then it may not be a good idea, Them pellets can quite easily bounce off the water.
    That's always why I've been told never to do it, but there is the pollution/legislation aspect to consider.

No idea re the legals but the problem (as I see it) is that some of the pellets will sink to the bottom of the pond, where filter feeders can ingest them. Lead isn't good (obviously) and neither would be plastic. Not sure re the lead free ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dersbum View Post
    perfectly legal to shoot lead pellets over water with an air rifle.
    it is the use of shotguns with lead shot that is banned over water, unless the shotgun is 9mm calibre or less.
    Can you link to where that's stated please.

I'm wondering if the same laws that prohibit the use of lead weights for freshwater fishing might also prohibit shooting lead into or across water,
    I've deffo read that you shouldn't shoot across water but I can't remember where at the moment.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    When I was young we all “knew” shooting over a body of water effected the POI. I reckon it was an old wive’s tale that probably originated from not firing at water to avoid ricochets.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

It seemed like a fun idea as it's so remote and private land as you can see by the pics but if there is any doubt about breaking any laws I won't bother