Thread: Pond Plinking?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Pond Plinking?

As a kid I was told off for shooting over water and never done it since, but I will be going to my son's farm again this year for another marathon plink and was thinking how nice it would be to put a bench by the pond in the evening and relax having shooting fun at targets on the pond.

Can anyone see any safety issues there is a bank and open fields for miles behind the pond as you can see in the pics.

I'm fairly sure off the top of my head, that it's illegal under the firearms act.
    I'll see if I can find the rule later.

Well I've been through the act & can't see it so I'm now wondering if it's the shooting of lead across water
    I know I read something about 'shooting over water being prohibited' somewhere, I just can't remember where.
    Last edited by angrybear; 24-03-2024 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm fairly sure off the top of my head, that it's illegal under the firearms act.
    Thanks I don't want to break any laws.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I know Leads a definate no no over water because of its toxicity, could be a work around though if you use a water Gun to do it as you can get ones with enough oomph to knock a target over but be the right side of things.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    I know Leads a definate no no over water because of its toxicity, could be a work around though if you use a water Gun to do it as you can get ones with enough oomph to knock a target over but be the right side of things.
    What about lead free pellets?

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Maybe but as AB says it may now be outright banned under Firearms laws, just tried googling it and it just gave me the stuff on firing on public land, most Lead frees are plastic too so bare that in mind if anythings living in that pond if it does turn out legal.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Well I've been through the act & can't see it so I'm now wondering if it's the shooting of lead across water
    I know I read something about 'shooting over water being prohibited' somewhere, I just can't remember where.
    Your possibly thinking of water fouls and shore lines. The proposal is to shoot over and not into.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Your possibly thinking of water fouls and shore lines. The proposal is to shoot over and not into.
    No, shore lines & high water mark is something else.
    this was something I read fairly recently, last year or two, and was almost a throwaway comment rather than the main subject,
    Until I read it I'd never heard of it, but as I now can't find it, I can't be sure I'm remembering the detail correctly

Rather annoying to say the least.

The no lead shot is actually wildfowl, in England and Wales you can not use lead to shoot wildfowl, in Scotland you can use lead to shoot wildfowl but only over fields and not water. Lead shot can be used to shoot anything else such as pheasants, pigeons, etc, over water or on land.

SSI sites though I believe you cant use lead shot.

The campaign started by the shooting organisations was to remove lead shot from quarry shooting that goes on to the food chain, however it has slightly backfired when H&S got hold of it and now looking to band lead shot in shotguns completely.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    The no lead shot is actually wildfowl, in England and Wales you can not use lead to shoot wildfowl, in Scotland you can use lead to shoot wildfowl but only over fields and not water. Lead shot can be used to shoot anything else such as pheasants, pigeons, etc, over water or on land.

SSI sites though I believe you cant use lead shot.

The campaign started by the shooting organisations was to remove lead shot from quarry shooting that goes on to the food chain, however it has slightly backfired when H&S got hold of it and now looking to band lead shot in shotguns completely.
    Well sort of, but you've got a few facts wrong
    It was the food marketing people (British Game Alliance ??) who decided to only accept game shot with lead free for sale, which has forced the shooting organisations to push going lead free, if the meat is for the food chain.

And the HSE are only following a Europe wide wide proposal to completely ban lead projectiles,
    thankfully after Gov't consultation it appears airguns & rimfire have been exempted & centrefire granted a time extension,
    but because lead free shotgun carts already exist it does look like a lead ban for them

Anyway I can't find the article, but still advise against it.
    Last edited by angrybear; 03-04-2024 at 10:41 AM.