Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Plinking?

Steel bbs won't harm the environment.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

They do make a funny sound when they ricochet of water.
    Different sound to shooting ice on a pond.

So I am told.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Mainly old powder burner advice to avoid Rick O'shae's. Shotgun legislation for lead shot.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

If lead is banned by angler's then it's banned in water. Sure it's the wildlife act of sorts same as wildfowlers using steel. Come to think of it, it could be an EU directive.

I think the legal wording refers to "lead shot" so pellets would potentially be a bypass of the legal issue but the moral, ethical and environmental issue remains - don't shoot lead into water.... Even though we've all done it in the past.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Well like I said you could still do water plinking using a decent Watergun, you can get ones with enough oomph and big enough for Adult hands (also not looking too toy like) that can knock targets over etc, can't harm anything or cause a legal issue and the Ammos near infinate.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Can you link to where that's stated please.

I'm wondering if the same laws that prohibit the use of lead weights for freshwater fishing might also prohibit shooting lead into or across water,
    I've deffo read that you shouldn't shoot across water but I can't remember where at the moment.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2170/made

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fi...er%201%20ounce.

When Lead pipes were put in by the Victorians, many went straight to the pond/water pump. There is loads of agricultural lead piping about in fields, though most dug up for the scrap. They didn't know better. A load of farm ponds were filled in and might well include a few Lead batteries.

I think the legislation is either about fishing and Lead Shot, or about shooting wildfowl over wetlands.

You might get ricochets if you can get low enough an angle. Certainly a .22LR will.
    The threat to wildlife or birdlife is slim. A .177 is a bit too big as bird grit! Wild ducks rarely live long enough to be effected by any Lead poisoning. The Lead would need to be highly concentrated and it would take exceptional circumstances for it to happen. Plenty of clay grounds have ponds where Lead concentrations are probably a tad too high; but can be sorted when dredged. Ask the Dutch as they reversed anti Lead legislation on shooting over water/in general. Plenty of daft science on the subject from Cambridge University!

Just watch the ripples for wind calls.

Lead split shot of the same weight of all non FAC pellets have been banned from fishing since 1987. Lead weights for fishing need to be 1oz or over to be legal. This is to protect swans, ducks etc. On this basis, it isn't really acceptable to shoot .177 or. 22 pellets into a pond.
    Just a bit of information from a fisherman to assist in your decision.
    Jim
    AA S410k .177; AA S410 Extra FAC .22; AA S310. 22
    Daystate Airwolf FAC .22, mtc viper Pro

just be carefull bud

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    When Lead pipes were put in by the Victorians, many went straight to the pond/water pump. There is loads of agricultural lead piping about in fields, though most dug up for the scrap. They didn't know better. A load of farm ponds were filled in and might well include a few Lead batteries.

I think the legislation is either about fishing and Lead Shot, or about shooting wildfowl over wetlands.

You might get ricochets if you can get low enough an angle. Certainly a .22LR will.
    The threat to wildlife or birdlife is slim. A .177 is a bit too big as bird grit! Wild ducks rarely live long enough to be effected by any Lead poisoning. The Lead would need to be highly concentrated and it would take exceptional circumstances for it to happen. Plenty of clay grounds have ponds where Lead concentrations are probably a tad too high; but can be sorted when dredged. Ask the Dutch as they reversed anti Lead legislation on shooting over water/in general. Plenty of daft science on the subject from Cambridge University!

Just watch the ripples for wind calls.
    This guy has it right. Lead toxicity is greatly exaggerated. Mostly for political and capitalistic purposes. If lead was so toxic, millions of people would have chronic health issues. For probably a hundred years untold millions of people have been drinking water from copper pipes soldered with lead solder. Before that it was lead pipes.

Just shoot and have fun. Nobody or anything is gonna suffer unless you hit them directly with the pellet. The pellets will ricochet at shallow angles but will keep a similar direction and angle at touchdown. Sometimes it's fun to see how many times you can skip a pellet before hitting a floating target. The RAF excelled at this in WWII with their Dambusters. The US also used skip bombing on a lot of shipping targets in the Pacific theater.

Anyway, don't listen to paranoid people sold on globalist junk science. Just use common sense and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    If lead is banned by angler's then it's banned in water. Sure it's the wildlife act of sorts same as wildfowlers using steel. Come to think of it, it could be an EU directive.
    Lead banned by anglers!

Mind you, I've not fished for 55 years.

I still think I should have informed
    Open Channel D

Lead split shot was banned because of Esther Ransom's "dying Swan" campaign.

Yup, and no Swan died of lead poisoning. Any that died did due to the nylon leaders attached to the split shot weights, or from the hooks attached to leader and split shot.
    Modern angling have changed a lot since those days. Few fish with a necklace of spit shot under a whopping big float. No polite fisherman would leave piles of leader material on the bank either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I think the legal wording refers to "lead shot" so pellets would potentially be a bypass of the legal issue but the moral, ethical and environmental issue remains - don't shoot lead into water.... Even though we've all done it in the past.
    Pretty much my take on it. There's been enough environmental pollution over the years, no need to keep adding to it. Just because arsenic in wallpaper and asbestos in everything was all the rage in the past doesn't justify needless pollution in the present.