Thread: Hw25 breech latch spring issue

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Hw25 breech latch spring issue

Just overhauled an old HW25 prior to sale, the breech locks but only takes a very, very light tap to pop it open, and I think the spring behind the ball bearing latch has weakened over the years. The rifle will open if jerked suddenly under the momentum of the barrel. I would like to replace the latch spring but it but it looks like the ball is secured by crimping or staking with some kind of punch, so there is no easy way to replace it. It is possible the pin the latch ball rides over is worn but it does not look or feel like it. And before anyone says it, no it is not the breech washer standing proud, the gun has the same issue with no breech washer in place.

Does anyone know how to replace the breech latch spring on these things, have I missed something?

Mmmmm...never had the pleasure of having a look at one of these at close quarters, Al. I hope someone knows the answer and you can get this sorted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Al. I just tried to look on the Chambers site to see if the parts diagram might shed some light on this, but can't access it on this ageing I-Pad!

However, I just put "Weihrauch HW25 barrel detent" into a Google search. Came across the diagram on the Knibbs site, clearly showing the ball and spring. So you assume not a "sealed for life" affair and you should be able to access?

Might be worth pursuing the search on the web a little. I'd have a look for you but running out of time....

Hope you sort.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads...issue.1288558/

Hi Al, I don't know if this helps at all. Especially post #12?

Yes, the reference to the steel dowel is just for the '30, but guessing what is said about the ball and staking applies the same?
    Last edited by TonyL; 25-03-2024 at 07:03 AM.

I bought some Meteor parts with a ball catch mechanism. It is also weak. I have not tried this yet but is the spring visible by a slot in the breech block where if you have three hands you could use a screwdriver to compress the spring and put a
    shim washer behind the ball for preload.
    I don't know about your HW but my Meteor does not look rebuildable.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    https://www.airgunnation.com/threads...issue.1288558/

Hi Al, I don't know if this helps at all. Especially post #12?

Yes, the reference to the steel dowel is just for the '30, but guessing what is said about the ball and staking applies the same?
    Thanks for this Tony, the rifle is on its way to its new owner who is aware of the issue .. might be fixable by putting in a wider latch pin for the ball to ride over, the ball spring doesn’t actually FEEL weak, it’s all very strange..

Gotcha. At least you've made him aware, just like I knew you would. The mark of a gent. Hope the new owner sorts and enjoys.

Gotcha. At least you've made him aware, just like I knew you would. The mark of a gent. Hope the new owner sorts and enjoys.
    The 25 is back in my stable .. I’m going to try measuring the latch pin first with a caliper and see if it’s that because the actual spring pressure seems pretty decent. There may be some way of fixing it yet …

The 25 is back in my stable after an amicable deal-reverse manoeuvre. I’m going to try measuring the latch pin first with a caliper and see if it’s that because the actual spring pressure seems pretty decent. There may be some way of fixing it yet … Tricky problems are the best and it’s such a funny little rifle, like a HW95 someone put in a very hot wash…

Back in your stable as in the sale fell through or has the new owner asked you to look into the issue prior to committing?

Back in your stable as in the sale fell through or has the new owner asked you to look into the issue prior to committing?
    The decision to purchase was on my initial assessment of the rifle, the problem became apparent after I stripped degreased and relubed it. It’s an old school 25 all steel, no safety job and it had the original HW grease in it.. The possibly intractable nature of the problem meant it wasn’t as initially described so buyer withdrew.

Means I get to have a play with it now, it’s been sitting in the back of the gun cupboard for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The decision to purchase was on my initial assessment of the rifle, the problem became apparent after I stripped degreased and relubed it. It’s an old school 25 all steel, no safety job and it had the original HW grease in it.. The possibly intractable nature of the problem meant it wasn’t as initially described so buyer withdrew.

Means I get to have a play with it now, it’s been sitting in the back of the gun cupboard for years.
    Ah, so the opportunity presents itself to explore this little gun a bit further. Do let us know how it progresses. If it needs to go afterwards, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a home for it.