Thread: Tight Spots in the Barrel

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Tight Spots in the Barrel

I’ve cleaned the barrel of my BSA Mercury with a bronze brush and a pull-through with oil on it, the rifle suffered the ‘cheese buffer phenomenon’ and there was plenty of this material stuck to the compression cylinder and probably therefore it got in the barrel.

When recrowning the muzzle I did the pushing a pellet through technique. As well as the lip at the muzzle I noticed a few tight spots along the bore, though none of them were VERY tight, just points of resistance. These got less after the above mentioned thorough cleaning, but did not disappear altogether.

I don’t want to ruin the bore so I’m leaving at that. Presumably the lead from the pellets will smooth things out when it’s had a tin through it. Do people burnish they’re bored to get rid of all tight spots? Is it worth it? What are the risks?

If it was only slightly more resistance you felt i would leave it as it. Get it back together and see if accuracy is ok. If it is leave it well alone.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I use JB bore polishing compound (no connection) to take out tight spots.. doesn't take much.

But only if the gun is innacurate, and especially when it feels too loose at the muzzle due to on earlier tight spot.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    So unless there’s a problem, leave well alone. Kind of wish I’d never heard of the concept of tight spots but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Mercury does not seem to have a choke but I’ve only tried one type of pellet and I expect they behave differently with a blast of air behind them.

Yep; the less intervention the better, in my humble view. If accuracy is okay now, leave as is.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!