Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holts Auction - Norfolk Today (25-3-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Kind of predictable as they become less relevant to the younger collectors and the older collectors look to off load their collections rather than buy more...
    Sad but true.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I'm a youngish collector, in my 40's. I don't know anyone my age who collects vintage air pistols or air rifles. Although I know we do exist. The truth is, most chaps my age are neutered, and could never hope to convince a wife or girlfriend to tolerate a large collection of guns in the home. Add to that, most people don't have a decent garden, and those that do are scared of the woke neighbours calling the police if they catch sight of what could look to the untrained eye as a firearm.

My grandfather gave me a Wesley air rifle when I was 10, and my father bought me a G10 for Christmas when I was 12. I think I collect not just out of love for the beautiful craftsmanship, but also the nostalgia for my youth. Many young boys have been denied that privilege of handling a solid metal mechanical air gun at a formative age. It's like Star Wars figures of the 1980's. Right now they are at a premium, because boys growing up in the 70's-80's are now at their peak in earning potential, and want to relive their childhood. But the market will collapse eventually, as children of the 90's were not interested in Star Wars. The philatelic collecting market is falling for the same reason.

As a newbie I feel I was ripped off occasionally by old collectors who seemed to think that their well cared for air gun was worth a fortune. In fact, we have to be realistic and accept that the demand for these beautiful pieces is falling rapidly. I was one of the lucky ones to pick up a bargain at Holts this week, and only wish I'd been able to stay on the auction longer for a Westley Richards. But I would not pay now over what those sold for. I understand a business charging a premium, but private sellers need to be realistic if they don't want to be buried with their collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Although who would have thought the gallery guns market would tank like this?
    I'm planning on doing some good Gallery gun videos in the future so hopefully that will broaden their appeal. I often meet collectors who don't even know they exist, but I find it a fascinating area.

Missed out on a few bargains there it seems.

Cheers,
    Matt

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Does anyone recognise this extraordinary repeater? Sold for £380.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....e-1980s-1990s/

Yes, I first saw that in Terry Robb's shop about ten years ago, he showed it to me. It was beautifully made obviously by a very skilled man. No identifying name or anything on it as to who made it. Terry suspected it was a homemade special & i agree. I tried to buy it at the time & offered £400 but he wouldnt sell.
    It was sold a few years later to one of our members the late Pete Basham, Pete pestered Terry for months & eventually managed to buy it.
    Pete passed away last year & his collection went to Holts for disposal. Quite a few of his air rifles & pistols were in the last auction & this one.
    I recognised a few. It was a sizeable collection & it doesnt take many that big to come onto the market to perhaps push the prices down a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Yes, I first saw that in Terry Robb's shop about ten years ago, he showed it to me. It was beautifully made obviously by a very skilled man. No identifying name or anything on it as to who made it. Terry suspected it was a homemade special & i agree. I tried to buy it at the time & offered £400 but he wouldnt sell.
    It was sold a few years later to one of our members the late Pete Basham, Pete pestered Terry for months & eventually managed to buy it.
    Pete passed away last year & his collection went to Holts for disposal. Quite a few of his air rifles & pistols were in the last auction & this one.
    I recognised a few. It was a sizeable collection & it doesnt take many that big to come onto the market to perhaps push the prices down a bit!
    Thanks Keith.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.