Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to RWS Hobby .22 cal.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've tried the Excite Hammer in one or two of mine. Budget pricing with good performance.

I also use the Crosman wadcutters in my 2240s, which I also bought cheaply from our sponsor.
    Have to agree with Tone regarding the Hammers but I've never found a single rifle or pistol that like Crosman pellets.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I found the .177 excite hammer were really nice to (10m air pistol practice). Haven't tried the .22.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    This is going to sound a bit weird, but I really enjoy opening a tin of RWS Hobby's, there's something about the ribs, the rebate in the tail, the angle around the head, the overall sharpness of the manufacture, that really sums up what a pellet should look like.

I guess it must be rooted in my first experiences of shooting air rifles, a target shooting club in a church hall in Dartford.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    This is going to sound a bit weird, but I really enjoy opening a tin of RWS Hobby's, there's something about the ribs, the rebate in the tail, the angle around the head, the overall sharpness of the manufacture, that really sums up what a pellet should look like.

I guess it must be rooted in my first experiences of shooting air rifles, a target shooting club in a church hall in Dartford.

I agree, it reads a bit weird !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Could try Bisley Practice?

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I agree, it reads a bit weird !
    I knew it would

A friend of mine gave up smoking, he says that the bit he missed most was opening a new packet and seeing the cigarettes all pristine and neat in the box. Opening a tin of pellets is a bit like that for me.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    I knew it would

A friend of mine gave up smoking, he says that the bit he missed most was opening a new packet and seeing the cigarettes all pristine and neat in the box. Opening a tin of pellets is a bit like that for me.
    Very much agree with that sentiment.

Bought one tin of Hobby recently £12.50 and was sad to have to use the (slightly marked) lid from the old tin. The new one doesn't fit tightly enough evidence the 200 or so pellets strewn around the floor and furniture after lifting the tin out of the pistol case by the lid.

I do like screw-tops.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Another suggestion, Bisley practice, available at Uttings. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Another suggestion, Bisley practice, available at Uttings. Regards Max
    There's an echo in here 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Have to agree with Tone regarding the Hammers but I've never found a single rifle or pistol that like Crosman pellets.
    The Crosman wadcutters do seem to go okay in the 2240.

A good few years ago, Joffy gave me some boxed 7.9 Premiers. None of his guns liked them. I tried them in my 95. Awesome. Better than Superdome, JSB Exact and AADF in this rifle. Very, very tight, consistent groupings. But then the FTT were better still.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I found the .177 excite hammer were really nice to (10m air pistol practice). Haven't tried the .22.
    Good to know re the .177s. I've only tried them in .22 to date.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I knew it would

I'm like that, too!

I love the look of those shiny new pellets looking all cosy, nestling in the tin with their buddies.

And I'll never forget my first experience with the Hobby (and Diablo). I was fifteen at the time and had my first 35. We had very few shops closeby selling airguns / related gear, so a friend and I went to Sheffield on the train. Visited Sugg Sports and Guns & Ammo.

When I first opened my first tin of Hobby, it was the ribbing and the recessing details that stood out as well as the "heavy", thick scent and the dark look. I still remember it like yesterday. Wasps, I seem to remember, had a "sharper / crisper" smell?
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-03-2024 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Very much agree with that sentiment.

Bought one tin of Hobby recently £12.50 and was sad to have to use the (slightly marked) lid from the old tin. The new one doesn't fit tightly enough evidence the 200 or so pellets strewn around the floor and furniture after lifting the tin out of the pistol case by the lid.

I do like screw-tops.
    Whoops. The Hobby has increased in price alarmingly over the last few years. They were once priced very much in the "budget" category, although from a premium manufacturer. Now not looking the bargain that they once did, but I'll still use them in a fair few of my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    My fave plinking pellets have been reclassified "rocking horse shit".

What, if any alternatives are available with parity in quality and weight?

My EB22 just loves them.

SMK Spitfires sound a tad dubious.

TiA
    In 22,if you are not too proud to use them, I would suggest Gamo Pro Hunter, 5.5 at 1gm. I tried some of these in an old Titan Bearcat, the result was amazing, 10 pellets, bench rested, through the same hole at 25 yds and they are cheap.

This is going to sound a bit weird, .....

I believe that was St Albans AWC, - I used to shoot there too

Also worth a try are .22 RWS Meisterkugeln for a posh plinking session.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/