If I'd known we'd consider the Mk2 Service or Britannia as pre war break barrels then they'd both be my favourites.

For the record both my Britannia's are the most accurate pre war air rifles I have, indeed the scruffy example that I tuned and 'targetised' (fitted with front and rear BSA peep sights) is ridiculously accurate, able to hit a 40mm spinner at 55yds repeatedly from an FT sitting position. Crazy. I'll get round to documenting that at some point.

I do think the design is indeed elegant, the balance point is the trigger, which is perfect for standing shots. The only thing that can let down very well used examples is the trigger, which often has to be set a bit heavy for safety reasons, if it has worn sears. Not on this one though...

I heard from one source that a previous owner of this Britannia claimed that his research revealed that a few from each batch were singled out for special treatment incl. special blue treatment. These were then used by the Belmont factory as promotionals, mainly for donation as club trophy material . He could not verify this at the time.

This one was apparently kept in a gun cabinet in a big house, along with a shotgun collection, for most of it's life. Whatever it's history regarding the finish, it's virtually unused, you can still see the machining marks and it can give us an idea of how nice they can look:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the 'Britannia Supertarget':

[IMG][/IMG]

Amazing airguns, and as I said, my most accurate.

Cheers,
Matt