Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best Pre-War Break Barrel Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I am lucky to have obtained a Britannia over here in the US. It is a very unique rifle but not sure perfect in every way? If perfect I think the in stock spring system would have carried on into modern airguns? Its profile is not really graceful? The quality of it finish is not comparable to the bluing that was developed after WW1: mirror blued finishes there.
    The balance to me is totally centered in the stock and the lack of a forearm a bit annoying and odd looking?
    I said it's PRACTICALLY perfect in every way, i.e., almost. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, Steve, as am I, and I couldn't disagree more. IMHO the Britannia has very graceful lines. But then again, you also don't care for the look of the Webley Service, which I think has one of the most beautiful and iconic profiles ever.

Regarding modern airguns not copying the design of the Britannia, I wonder that all the time. I wish some company would. I'd love a solid, modern, compact, light, easy to wield, high-powered springer inspired by the Britannia design!

The quality of finish is a trivial matter. And considering minty Britannias aren't common, I doubt either of us can declare with certainty how good or bad the original finish was when new, or if it varied in quality over its production run.

Lastly, I find the heavy yet compact design makes it a quicker, more natural pointer than a lot of modern break barrels. As far as accuracy tests go, Matt's video says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHiTVootIcQ

Best pre war break barrel.........probably Diana 27 or 35, maybe one of the larger Haenels, but it's not an easy question as everyone has their own values when it comes to characteristics & features. Ask the question today about modern break barrel springers & you are likely to geat a selection of suggestions. Asking the question about pre war ones will likely get fewer suggestions as there are/ were probably fewer to choose from.

If I had to choose one I think I'd pick a model 35.
    Last edited by trajectory; 29-03-2024 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    I said it's PRACTICALLY perfect in every way, i.e., almost. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, Steve, as am I, and I couldn't disagree more. IMHO the Britannia has very graceful lines. But then again, you also don't care for the look of the Webley Service, which I think has one of the most beautiful and iconic profiles ever.

Regarding modern airguns not copying the design of the Britannia, I wonder that all the time. I wish some company would. I'd love a solid, modern, compact, light, easy to wield, high-powered springer inspired by the Britannia design!

The quality of finish is a trivial matter. And considering minty Britannias aren't common, I doubt either of us can declare with certainty how good or bad the original finish was when new, or if it varied in quality over its production run.

Lastly, I find the heavy yet compact design makes it a quicker, more natural pointer than a lot of modern break barrels. As far as accuracy tests go, Matt's video says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHiTVootIcQ
    Have no argument except that Matt could make any rifle a good shooter!

If I'd known we'd consider the Mk2 Service or Britannia as pre war break barrels then they'd both be my favourites.

For the record both my Britannia's are the most accurate pre war air rifles I have, indeed the scruffy example that I tuned and 'targetised' (fitted with front and rear BSA peep sights) is ridiculously accurate, able to hit a 40mm spinner at 55yds repeatedly from an FT sitting position. Crazy. I'll get round to documenting that at some point.

I do think the design is indeed elegant, the balance point is the trigger, which is perfect for standing shots. The only thing that can let down very well used examples is the trigger, which often has to be set a bit heavy for safety reasons, if it has worn sears. Not on this one though...

I heard from one source that a previous owner of this Britannia claimed that his research revealed that a few from each batch were singled out for special treatment incl. special blue treatment. These were then used by the Belmont factory as promotionals, mainly for donation as club trophy material . He could not verify this at the time.

This one was apparently kept in a gun cabinet in a big house, along with a shotgun collection, for most of it's life. Whatever it's history regarding the finish, it's virtually unused, you can still see the machining marks and it can give us an idea of how nice they can look:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's the 'Britannia Supertarget':

[IMG][/IMG]

Amazing airguns, and as I said, my most accurate.

Cheers,
    Matt

It does look extraordinarily crisp, Matt, but doesn't the deep blue-black gloss finish look like a modern finish?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have no argument except that Matt could make any rifle a good shooter!
    You got me there!

wow,jaw hits the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It does look extraordinarily crisp, Matt, but doesn't the deep blue-black gloss finish look like a modern finish?
    Who knows mate, looks like hot oil blueing to me, which I’m sure they were capable back then, but I’m no expert. Look’s different in the flesh, a browny bluey black.

I did wonder if it was sent for refinishing along with all the antique shotguns while it was in the big house gun cabinet.

The white infill seems quite decayed under magnification, not sure what was used or how old it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also some surface inclusions but as these are cast parts I’d assume that’s not uncommon. All the edges seem to crisp for that to have been rust pitting that was brushed out?

[IMG][/IMG]

Like I said there's no way of knowing for sure, i can only dream!

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    If I'd known we'd consider the Mk2 Service or Britannia as pre war break barrels then they'd both be my favourites.

For the record both my Britannia's are the most accurate pre war air rifles I have, indeed the scruffy example that I tuned and 'targetised' (fitted with front and rear BSA peep sights) is ridiculously accurate, able to hit a 40mm spinner at 55yds repeatedly from an FT sitting position. Crazy. I'll get round to documenting that at some point.

I do think the design is indeed elegant, the balance point is the trigger, which is perfect for standing shots. The only thing that can let down very well used examples is the trigger, which often has to be set a bit heavy for safety reasons, if it has worn sears. Not on this one though...

Amazing airguns, and as I said, my most accurate.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Agreed, the Britannia's trigger is arguably its weakest feature. Regarding balance, two of the Britannias, SN 593, which I still have, has a 21" barrel, whereas SN 2313, which I regretfully sold, had a 23" barrel. The extra two inches, if I recall, did improve the balance somewhat, but SN 593 still points and balances beautifully, at least for my hold. On a side note, it shoots almost as hard as my FWB 124.

I guess the Webley Service is technically a break barrel if pivoting the barrel to cock the gun to load the pellet directly into the bore is the definition of a break barrel. In that case, I'd have to say it's a tie - the Webley MK II and the Britannia are, in my opinion, the best pre-war break barrels. The aforementioned Dianas are pretty great, too, and I certainly wouldn't kick an FLZ out of bed for eating crackers.

Fantastic photos, Matt. I'm green with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    Fantastic photos, Matt. I'm green with envy.
    P.S. I liked how you used the 1905 Penny to illustrate how to access the spring. Nice touch.

Below are the two Britannias I referenced in my previous post. It's an old 35mm photo I took in 1999 when both were still in my collection. Top SN 593, bottom SN 2313.