Thread: The Best Pre-War Break Barrel Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I am lucky to have obtained a Britannia over here in the US. It is a very unique rifle but not sure perfect in every way? If perfect I think the in stock spring system would have carried on into modern airguns? Its profile is not really graceful? The quality of it finish is not comparable to the bluing that was developed after WW1: mirror blued finishes there.
    The balance to me is totally centered in the stock and the lack of a forearm a bit annoying and odd looking?
    I said it's PRACTICALLY perfect in every way, i.e., almost. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, Steve, as am I, and I couldn't disagree more. IMHO the Britannia has very graceful lines. But then again, you also don't care for the look of the Webley Service, which I think has one of the most beautiful and iconic profiles ever.

Regarding modern airguns not copying the design of the Britannia, I wonder that all the time. I wish some company would. I'd love a solid, modern, compact, light, easy to wield, high-powered springer inspired by the Britannia design!

The quality of finish is a trivial matter. And considering minty Britannias aren't common, I doubt either of us can declare with certainty how good or bad the original finish was when new, or if it varied in quality over its production run.

Lastly, I find the heavy yet compact design makes it a quicker, more natural pointer than a lot of modern break barrels. As far as accuracy tests go, Matt's video says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHiTVootIcQ

Best pre war break barrel.........probably Diana 27 or 35, maybe one of the larger Haenels, but it's not an easy question as everyone has their own values when it comes to characteristics & features. Ask the question today about modern break barrel springers & you are likely to geat a selection of suggestions. Asking the question about pre war ones will likely get fewer suggestions as there are/ were probably fewer to choose from.

If I had to choose one I think I'd pick a model 35.
    Last edited by trajectory; 29-03-2024 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    I said it's PRACTICALLY perfect in every way, i.e., almost. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, Steve, as am I, and I couldn't disagree more. IMHO the Britannia has very graceful lines. But then again, you also don't care for the look of the Webley Service, which I think has one of the most beautiful and iconic profiles ever.

Regarding modern airguns not copying the design of the Britannia, I wonder that all the time. I wish some company would. I'd love a solid, modern, compact, light, easy to wield, high-powered springer inspired by the Britannia design!

The quality of finish is a trivial matter. And considering minty Britannias aren't common, I doubt either of us can declare with certainty how good or bad the original finish was when new, or if it varied in quality over its production run.

Lastly, I find the heavy yet compact design makes it a quicker, more natural pointer than a lot of modern break barrels. As far as accuracy tests go, Matt's video says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHiTVootIcQ
    Have no argument except that Matt could make any rifle a good shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have no argument except that Matt could make any rifle a good shooter!
    You got me there!

wow,jaw hits the floor.