Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
I am lucky to have obtained a Britannia over here in the US. It is a very unique rifle but not sure perfect in every way? If perfect I think the in stock spring system would have carried on into modern airguns? Its profile is not really graceful? The quality of it finish is not comparable to the bluing that was developed after WW1: mirror blued finishes there.
The balance to me is totally centered in the stock and the lack of a forearm a bit annoying and odd looking?
I said it's PRACTICALLY perfect in every way, i.e., almost. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion, Steve, as am I, and I couldn't disagree more. IMHO the Britannia has very graceful lines. But then again, you also don't care for the look of the Webley Service, which I think has one of the most beautiful and iconic profiles ever.

Regarding modern airguns not copying the design of the Britannia, I wonder that all the time. I wish some company would. I'd love a solid, modern, compact, light, easy to wield, high-powered springer inspired by the Britannia design!

The quality of finish is a trivial matter. And considering minty Britannias aren't common, I doubt either of us can declare with certainty how good or bad the original finish was when new, or if it varied in quality over its production run.

Lastly, I find the heavy yet compact design makes it a quicker, more natural pointer than a lot of modern break barrels. As far as accuracy tests go, Matt's video says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHiTVootIcQ