Thread: Gerald Cardue report - BSA 240 Magnum

Gerald Cardue report - BSA 240 Magnum

Has anyone got a copy of Gerald Cardue's report on the BSA 240 Magnum pistol? I remember reading it in the past but can't find a copy online. I now have one of these pistols so I'd find it interesting to re-read the article. Thanks in advance 🙂

I have a nice example from 1995 which came with paperwork including an “Air Weapons Final Inspection Certificate” stamped for accuracy compliance at 25yds ! The pistol is quite top heavy which puts some owners off, but I get along with it fine now that I have become accustomed to it. Mine doesn’t really live up to the “Magnum” tag but quite powerful enough for most purposes. The polystyrene packing tray within the box has what looks like it has extra provision for a longer cylinder and I believe there were plans to include this which never made it into production.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 09-05-2024 at 04:02 PM.

Nice looking pistol Brian. I had mine out earlier shooting sat down with both hands at a large Birchwood Casey target at 8 yards. Mine does group but needs more elevation. It likes RWS roundheads (177) but I might try some heavier JSB's as I understand they might give more hight. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Collector View Post
    Nice looking pistol Brian. I had mine out earlier shooting sat down with both hands at a large Birchwood Casey target at 8 yards. Mine does group but needs more elevation. It likes RWS roundheads (177) but I might try some heavier JSB's as I understand they might give more hight. We will see.
    Mine is in .22 calibre and shoots well with RWS Hobby wadcutter pellets. I have found these also work well in .177 calibre on my older spring powered air pistols which seem to prefer lighter pellets.

Brian

I’ll dig out the copy I got with Gerald Cardew’s evaluation 240 Magnum. It’s his typed copy, rather than as it appeared in the magazine, complete with various BSA paperwork. Bought it from Mr Dyson a few years back. No idea who had it before me.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I’ll dig out the copy I got with Gerald Cardew’s evaluation 240 Magnum. It’s his typed copy, rather than as it appeared in the magazine, complete with various BSA paperwork. Bought it from Mr Dyson a few years back. No idea who had it before me.
    Ah, thank you. Much appreciated. 👍

I’ll scan it in Monday or Tuesday when I’m next in the office, as my scanner here is broken.

A little teaser. His first prediction is completely wrong. Couldn’t be more wrong.