Thread: Component part or not?

Component part or not?

Thinking aloud.
    My lad could use a better shroud on his rifle.
    I can buy 1m of carbon tube, have it delivered through the post. I make a couple of bushes, fill it with hair curlers and pan scrubbers.
    Non of the above are individualy gun parts.
    Once assembled and the intention is to fit to a gun, does it then become a gun part and cannot be posted ( except parcelforce 48) .
    If I then break it down back into component parts to post, am I posting hair curlers or moderator parts.
    Just thoughts.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

True…but as you’re not selling it by way of trade, you can post it to him intact anyway. If moderators for S1 come off ticket then great, but I wish the consultation also had down to remove the need for face to face transfer for all mods, so air gun mods as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Thinking aloud.
    I can buy 1m of carbon tube, have it delivered through the post. I make a couple of bushes, fill it with hair curlers and pan scrubbers.
    Once assembled and the intention is to fit to a gun, does it then become a gun part and cannot be posted ( except parcelforce 48) .
    If I then break it down back into component parts to post, am I posting hair curlers or moderator parts.
    Just thoughts.
    You can puchase Carbon fibre tubes on of any diameter and any length....

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I used to make exactly these commercially ten years ago. My FEO advised me not to, so I stopped.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have received enough springs through the post which could be gun parts but until assembly they are springs
    Pete

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Tbh if it's going Mainland theres little chance it'd be checked anyway, not that your average Post office worker would reconise it so you should be fine even if you post it built.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Thinking aloud.
    Just thoughts.
    Gun parts can also be posted by Royal Mail, 1st class, provided they meet the size limits, as is clearly stated in their terms for prohibited & restricted items.
    I also have an email (from RM) stating that with RM you can add enhanced insurance cover (but not with PF)

Provided it is not made for sale/profit or by way of business it's completely legal to make & to give to your son.

Thinking aloud.
    Just thoughts.
    As stated above. But don’t use pan scrubbers. I have used hobby felt or old towelling to good effect in the past. I have just made a shroud using delrin for the end pieces, and also for the holding piece at the barrel end, which has venting slotscut into it to give back venting. They are held in place usingM5 black nylon studs. I also used 3mm felt pads on the face of the delrin baffles, Velcro hair curlers with no wrap in this case. When shooting at the range, the guy next to me said he could only hear the action.

I don’t post them anywhere, as anything I make is just for me.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I used to make exactly these commercially ten years ago. My FEO advised me not to, so I stopped.
    yes, but Neil would be doing it privately...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.