Thread: Vintage repair of the week award

Vintage repair of the week award

OK, own up. Who did that?

Well it is Spring

Makes you wonder if the person who brazed them together didn't know that these type of springs are usually fitted in pairs. By applying heat to the springs i am surprised that the middle hasn't collapsed. What type of award trophy did you have in mind for this gunsmith expert, cut his fingers off or ban him from using any form of tools award.

that is mad

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Presumably someone was satisfied enough with their work that they refitted it to a rifle I’m guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Presumably someone was satisfied enough with their work that they refitted it to a rifle I’m guessing?
    Yes, it was inside a Gem but I'm not sure it ever would have worked like that.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Yes, it was inside a Gem but I'm not sure it ever would have worked like that.
    Ah ok, I wrongly just assumed it was a BSA. Just spotted you are just up the road from me, I went to Homewood school many years ago 😎👍

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Makes you wonder if the person who brazed them together didn't know that these type of springs are usually fitted in pairs. By applying heat to the springs i am surprised that the middle hasn't collapsed. What type of award trophy did you have in mind for this gunsmith expert, cut his fingers off or ban him from using any form of tools award.
    The part of the right hand piece next to the join, does look to me, like it has compressed slightly. Mind you if the spring guide was long enough, he could have just refinished both ends and put a nylon slip washer in between.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Ah ok, I wrongly just assumed it was a BSA. Just spotted you are just up the road from me, I went to Homewood school many years ago 😎👍
    Yes, I did think it was a pair of BSA springs brazed together when I first saw it but they are a different size.

I'm a relative newcomer I'm afraid - only been here about 6 years although my partners son went to Homewood.

Steve.