Thread: Hw 25 barrel latch thing

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Hw 25 barrel latch thing

I saw this thread https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...h-spring-issue and wondered how the balls are fitted and changed. Are the balls shrunk into the hole in the breech block? Are they fitted and then a pin put in? Is the hole machined from the front of the breech block, then the ball and spring put in and a plug fitted behind them?
    As some of you know, I am underwhelmed by the HW25 and I gave the one I had away. Apart from the sights they are really no better than a Diana 23/ Milbro 76.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I saw this thread https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...h-spring-issue and wondered how the balls are fitted and changed. Are the balls shrunk into the hole in the breech block? Are they fitted and then a pin put in? Is the hole machined from the front of the breech block, then the ball and spring put in and a plug fitted behind them?
    As some of you know, I am underwhelmed by the HW25 and I gave the one I had away. Apart from the sights they are really no better than a Diana 23/ Milbro 76.
    There is a blind hole bored in the breech block, the spring and ball are pushed in by a rod with a three pronged spirally cylinder around it then they whack it with a hammer, crimping the mouth of the hole. That’s my guess by looking at it. Not easily rebuildable.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    There is a blind hole bored in the breech block, the spring and ball are pushed in by a rod with a three pronged spirally cylinder around it then they whack it with a hammer, crimping the mouth of the hole. That’s my guess by looking at it. Not easily rebuildable.
    So I assume you will try to compress the spring and open the mouth with a drill bit turned by hand ? (or a reamer/ dremel/ conical stone?) So the ball will come out? Refit a spring and ball and pop the breech?
    What I did on a Meteor that someone had jammed the plunger in without a spring, was to drill a small hole from the cocking arm slot and knock the plunger out the front with a punch. you wonk be able to see the hole after with the cocking arm refitted.
    Once it is out and and you have you spring and ball ready to go back in you may be able to "pre pop" the breech a tiny bit then warm the block and put the ball in the freezer before fitting? Then once it is in a slightly bigger pop or 2?

OR Just buy a Diana 23 or Milbro 76?
    Last edited by ggggr; 27-03-2024 at 08:17 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    So I assume you will try to compress the spring and open the mouth with a drill bit turned by hand ? (or a reamer/ dremel/ conical stone?) So the ball will come out? Refit a spring and ball and pop the breech?
    What I did on a Meteor that someone had jammed the plunger in without a spring, was to drill a small hole from the cocking arm slot and knock the plunger out the front with a punch. you wonk be able to see the hole after with the cocking arm refitted.
    Once it is out and and you have you spring and ball ready to go back in you may be able to "pre pop" the breech a tiny bit then warm the block and put the ball in the freezer before fitting? Then once it is in a slightly bigger pop or 2?

[B]OR[B] Just buy a Diana 23 or Milbro 76?
    That’s good planning … I’m just hoping it can be cured by a new latch pin .. there’s not much room to drill from the front, looks like spring and ball would have to come out from the front then making a fixing that would hold them might be really difficult.. converting to a chisel of some kind may be easier. Or find a cosmetically knackered 25 and swap the barrel!