Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been thinking about getting a new 80 but looking for reassurance

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

I have been thinking about getting a new 80 but looking for reassurance

I didn't like the star breach of the new type HW's but now warming to them after experiencing tight breaches of the old ones but I am still a bit concerned about the new screw on detent lug, what part of it stops the barrel when closed and is the hollow unsupported lug robust enough compared with the old type?

Only had the new 80 less than two years (not the newest stock version). No issues/concerns to date. Even after replacing the original silencer with a shorter lead weighted one. The original silencer didn’t suit the rifle being long and matt black. Shoots well with JSB exact 4.53.

Although I have no first hand experience of this set-up on these newer 80s, I can't see HW introducing a weak spot in this area to the "workhorse" 80 whose reputation has been built on the solidity of construction.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Although I have no first hand experience of this set-up on these newer 80s, I can't see HW introducing a weak spot in this area to the "workhorse" 80 whose reputation has been built on the solidity of construction.
    That's a bit naïve Tone,😁 if they were bothered about longevity they wouldn't have changed it , it's been a solid piece of engineering for many years, the change will be down in part to cost reduction.

loved my 80

Have seen the welds break on old 80s but haven't heard of any issues from the new set up. Mach 1.5

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    That's a bit naïve Tone,😁 if they were bothered about longevity they wouldn't have changed it , it's been a solid piece of engineering for many years, the change will be down in part to cost reduction.
    Spot on Nick, it's the same in all industry, it's all cutting corners now to save that extra penny or two, just think BSA/Gamo.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    plus replacing that part doesn't look very expensive, and as others have said, I doubt it breaks every 5 minutes...

certainly easier than re-welding front stock lugs.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If it was a problem all the airgun related forums would have threads on it.

Lots of people love to rubbish Wiehrauchs, no idea why they just do, but they'd be all over it like a nasty rash.
    Do not sell this man any air guns no matter what he says

The thing I would like to know is what part stops the barrel when it clunks shut, on the old type it was clear and it looked solid and precision so there was no drop or rise, surly it can't be the hollow lug

Lock up is still the same as the old ones..only the lugs have changed. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Lock up is still the same as the old ones..only the lugs have changed. Mach 1.5
    So going by the old ones it looks like it hits the weak spot is that right?

I've got an 80 from 2012..with the new set up. Not a problem at all. No weak spot in my opinion. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I've got an 80 from 2012..with the new set up. Not a problem at all. No weak spot in my opinion. Mach 1.5
    I only call it the weak spot because it looks like a weak spot in the pic anyway it seems like that there is no flat spot for the barrel block lip to land on when closed does the edge of the block hit the slopping hollow lug when closed as a stop?

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of getting one, so don't 😁
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)